Results of the second Dutch national survey on radon in dwellings

2.50
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10029/10178
Title:
Results of the second Dutch national survey on radon in dwellings
Authors:
Stoop P; Glastra P; Hiemstra Y; de Vries L; Lembrechts J
Other Titles:
Resultaten van het tweede landelijke onderzoek naar radon in woningen
Abstract:
In 1995 and 1996, radon concentrations and effective air flows were measured in about 1500 Dutch dwellings built between 1985 and 1993. The goal of this investigation was to describe the trend in the average radon concentration and quantify the relative importance of the different sources of radon. In the living room radon concentrations varied from 5 to 400 Bq/m3, with an average of 30 Bq/m3, which is 50% higher than the average measured in 1984 in dwellings built before 1970. The average concentration in the outside air was 5 Bq/m3 and in crawl spaces 70 Bq/m3. The average concentration found in bedrooms was about 10% less than concentrations for living rooms. Measurements of effective air flows showed the most important source of radon in the living room not to be the soil but the building materials, with an average contribution of 70%. The other 30% comprised outside air and air from the crawl space in equal quantities. Use of the mechanical ventilation system was found to slightly reduce the radon concentration in new dwellings. The radon concentration was also found to be positively correlated with the radon concentration in the crawl spaces and the total area of concrete in the living room. The long-term increase in the average radon concentration is due principally to the improvements in insulation since 1970, resulting in a fourfold decrease in the building shell permeability, and in a less degree to an increase in the use of concrete by a factor of four over the last 40 years. Since 1970, the average radon concentration in the total Dutch housing stock has increased by about 4 Bq/m3, to 23 Bq/m3, which is the lowest but one average value in Western Europe.; In de periode 1995-1996 zijn radonconcentraties en luchtstromen gemeten in circa 1500 Nederlandse nieuwbouwwoningen (bouwjaar 1985-1993). Het onderzoek had tot doel de trend in de radonconcentratie te beschrijven en het relatieve belang van de diverse bronnen van radon in de woning te kwantificeren. In de woonkamers varieerde de concentratie tussen 5 en 400 Bq/m3. Gemiddeld bedroeg de radonconcentratie er 30 Bq/m3 bij een concentratie in de buitenlucht van ongeveer 5 Bq/m3. Dit is circa 50% hoger dan wat in 1984 werd gemeten in woningen die tot circa 1970 werden gebouwd. In de kruipruimten is de gemiddelde radonconcentratie 70 Bq/m3. In slaapkamers is gemiddeld 10% minder radon gevonden dan in de woonkamer. Uit meting van luchtstromen in en tussen woonkamer en kruipruimte kon worden afgeleid dat voor de woonkamer de bouwmaterialen de belangrijkste bron van radon zijn met een gemiddelde bijdrage van 70%. Circa 15% van het radon is afkomstig uit de kruipruimte. De buitenlucht levert een even grote bijdrage. De radonconcentratie in de onderzochte nieuwbouwwoningen bleek te worden beinvloed door het gebruik van de mechanische ventilatievoorziening en gecorreleerd te zijn met de radonconcentratie in de kruipruimte en met het totale oppervlak van de uit beton opgetrokken wanden. De lange termijn toename in de radonconcentratie wordt voornamelijk veroorzaakt door verbeteringen in de woningisolatie sinds de zeventiger jaren, wat resulteerde in een toename van de luchtdichtheid van de bouwschil met een factor vier, en in mindere mate door een stijging in het gebruik van betonproducten met een factor vier, over een periode van circa 40 jaar. Sinds 1970 is de gemiddelde radonconcentratie voor het totale woningbestand met circa 4 Bq/m3 toegenomen tot 23 Bq/m3, nog steeds de op een na laagste gemiddelde waarde in West-Europa.
Affiliation:
LSO
Publisher:
Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu RIVM
Issue Date:
30-Apr-1998
URI:
http://hdl.handle.net/10029/10178
Additional Links:
http://www.rivm.nl/bibliotheek/rapporten/610058006.html
Language:
en
Series/Report no.:
RIVM rapport 610058006
Appears in Collections:
RIVM reports - old archive

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.contributor.authorStoop Pen_US
dc.contributor.authorGlastra Pen_US
dc.contributor.authorHiemstra Yen_US
dc.contributor.authorde Vries Len_US
dc.contributor.authorLembrechts Jen_US
dc.date.accessioned2007-03-09T16:50:32Z-
dc.date.available2007-03-09T16:50:32Z-
dc.date.issued1998-04-30en_US
dc.identifier610058006en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10029/10178-
dc.description.abstractIn 1995 and 1996, radon concentrations and effective air flows were measured in about 1500 Dutch dwellings built between 1985 and 1993. The goal of this investigation was to describe the trend in the average radon concentration and quantify the relative importance of the different sources of radon. In the living room radon concentrations varied from 5 to 400 Bq/m3, with an average of 30 Bq/m3, which is 50% higher than the average measured in 1984 in dwellings built before 1970. The average concentration in the outside air was 5 Bq/m3 and in crawl spaces 70 Bq/m3. The average concentration found in bedrooms was about 10% less than concentrations for living rooms. Measurements of effective air flows showed the most important source of radon in the living room not to be the soil but the building materials, with an average contribution of 70%. The other 30% comprised outside air and air from the crawl space in equal quantities. Use of the mechanical ventilation system was found to slightly reduce the radon concentration in new dwellings. The radon concentration was also found to be positively correlated with the radon concentration in the crawl spaces and the total area of concrete in the living room. The long-term increase in the average radon concentration is due principally to the improvements in insulation since 1970, resulting in a fourfold decrease in the building shell permeability, and in a less degree to an increase in the use of concrete by a factor of four over the last 40 years. Since 1970, the average radon concentration in the total Dutch housing stock has increased by about 4 Bq/m3, to 23 Bq/m3, which is the lowest but one average value in Western Europe.en
dc.description.abstractIn de periode 1995-1996 zijn radonconcentraties en luchtstromen gemeten in circa 1500 Nederlandse nieuwbouwwoningen (bouwjaar 1985-1993). Het onderzoek had tot doel de trend in de radonconcentratie te beschrijven en het relatieve belang van de diverse bronnen van radon in de woning te kwantificeren. In de woonkamers varieerde de concentratie tussen 5 en 400 Bq/m3. Gemiddeld bedroeg de radonconcentratie er 30 Bq/m3 bij een concentratie in de buitenlucht van ongeveer 5 Bq/m3. Dit is circa 50% hoger dan wat in 1984 werd gemeten in woningen die tot circa 1970 werden gebouwd. In de kruipruimten is de gemiddelde radonconcentratie 70 Bq/m3. In slaapkamers is gemiddeld 10% minder radon gevonden dan in de woonkamer. Uit meting van luchtstromen in en tussen woonkamer en kruipruimte kon worden afgeleid dat voor de woonkamer de bouwmaterialen de belangrijkste bron van radon zijn met een gemiddelde bijdrage van 70%. Circa 15% van het radon is afkomstig uit de kruipruimte. De buitenlucht levert een even grote bijdrage. De radonconcentratie in de onderzochte nieuwbouwwoningen bleek te worden beinvloed door het gebruik van de mechanische ventilatievoorziening en gecorreleerd te zijn met de radonconcentratie in de kruipruimte en met het totale oppervlak van de uit beton opgetrokken wanden. De lange termijn toename in de radonconcentratie wordt voornamelijk veroorzaakt door verbeteringen in de woningisolatie sinds de zeventiger jaren, wat resulteerde in een toename van de luchtdichtheid van de bouwschil met een factor vier, en in mindere mate door een stijging in het gebruik van betonproducten met een factor vier, over een periode van circa 40 jaar. Sinds 1970 is de gemiddelde radonconcentratie voor het totale woningbestand met circa 4 Bq/m3 toegenomen tot 23 Bq/m3, nog steeds de op een na laagste gemiddelde waarde in West-Europa.nl
dc.format.extent1897000 bytesen_US
dc.format.extent1942046 bytes-
dc.format.mimetypeapplication/pdf-
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.publisherRijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu RIVMen_US
dc.relation.ispartofseriesRIVM rapport 610058006en_US
dc.relation.urlhttp://www.rivm.nl/bibliotheek/rapporten/610058006.htmlen_US
dc.subject.otherindoor environmenten
dc.subject.otherdwellingsen
dc.subject.otherradonen
dc.subject.othermeasurementsen
dc.subject.othernetherlandsen
dc.subject.otherventilationen
dc.subject.otherbuilding materialsen
dc.subject.otherrn222en
dc.subject.otherbinnenmilieunl
dc.subject.otherwoningnl
dc.subject.otherradonnl
dc.subject.othermeetgegevensnl
dc.subject.othernederlandnl
dc.subject.otherventilerennl
dc.subject.otherbouwmateriaalnl
dc.subject.otherrn222nl
dc.titleResults of the second Dutch national survey on radon in dwellingsen_US
dc.title.alternativeResultaten van het tweede landelijke onderzoek naar radon in woningenen_US
dc.contributor.departmentLSOen_US
All Items in WARP are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.