Post-disaster mental health problems and the utilization of mental health services: a four-year longitudinal comparative study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsVelden, Peter G van der
Kleber, Rolf J
Drogendijk, Annelieke N
Roskam, Albert-Jan R
Marcelissen, Frans G H
Meewisse, Mariel L
Gersons, Berthold P R
MetadataShow full item record
TitlePost-disaster mental health problems and the utilization of mental health services: a four-year longitudinal comparative study.
PubliekssamenvattingThis study examined mental health problems and mental health services (MHS) utilization after a fireworks disaster among adult survivors and a comparison group. The disaster took place on May 13, 2000, in the city of Enschede, The Netherlands. Victims (N=662) participated in a survey 2-3 weeks (T1), 18 months (T2) and 4 years (T3) post-disaster. The comparison group consisted of non-affected people from another city (N=526). They participated at T2 and T3. Victims used MHS more often than the comparison group in the 12-month period before T2 and T3 (OR 3.9 and 2.4). Victims with severe depression and anxiety symptoms at T2 used MHS more often than participants in the comparison group with these symptoms (OR 2.6 and 2.0). After 4 years, MHS utilization among participants in both groups with anxiety symptoms did not differ, suggesting attenuation of the observed effects. Results suggest that after a disaster survivors with mental health problems are less reluctant to use MHS than under normal circumstances.
- Correlates of mental health services utilization 18 months and almost 4 years postdisaster among adults with mental health problems.
- Authors: van der Velden PG, Yzermans CJ, Kleber RJ, Gersons BP
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- The association between dispositional optimism and mental health problems among disaster victims and a comparison group: a prospective study.
- Authors: van der Velden PG, Kleber RJ, Fournier M, Grievink L, Drogendijk A, Gersons BP
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- A longitudinal comparative study of the physical and mental health problems of affected residents of the firework disaster Enschede, The Netherlands.
- Authors: Grievink L, van der Velden PG, Stellato RK, Dusseldorp A, Gersons BP, Kleber RJ, Lebret E
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Use of mental health services among disaster survivors: predisposing factors.
- Authors: den Ouden DJ, van der Velden PG, Grievink L, Morren M, Dirkzwager AJ, Yzermans CJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 24
- Health problems presented in general practice by survivors before and after a fireworks disaster: associations with mental health care.
- Authors: den Ouden DJ, Dirkzwager AJ, Yzermans CJ
- Issue date: 2005 Sep