Outbreak of NDM-1-Producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a Dutch Hospital, with Interspecies Transfer of the Resistance Plasmid and Unexpected Occurrence in Unrelated Health Care Centers.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Lutgens, Suzanne P M
Hermans, Mirjam H A
Wever, Peter C
Schneeberger, Peter M
Renders, Nicole H M
Leenders, Alexander C A P
Kluytmans, Jan A J W
Schouls, Leo M
MetadataShow full item record
TitleOutbreak of NDM-1-Producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a Dutch Hospital, with Interspecies Transfer of the Resistance Plasmid and Unexpected Occurrence in Unrelated Health Care Centers.
Published inJ Clin Microbiol 2017, 55(8):2380-90
PubliekssamenvattingIn the Netherlands, the number of cases of infection with New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase (NDM)-positive Enterobacteriaceae is low. Here, we report an outbreak of NDM-1-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae infection in a Dutch hospital with interspecies transfer of the resistance plasmid and unexpected occurrence in other unrelated health care centers (HCCs). Next-generation sequencing was performed on 250 carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae isolates, including 42 NDM-positive isolates obtained from 29 persons at the outbreak site. Most outbreak isolates were K. pneumoniae (n = 26) and Escherichia coli (n = 11), but 5 isolates comprising three other Enterobacteriaceae species were also cultured. The 26 K. pneumoniae isolates had sequence type 873 (ST873), as did 7 unrelated K. pneumoniae isolates originating from five geographically dispersed HCCs. The 33 ST873 isolates that clustered closely together using whole-genome multilocus sequence typing (wgMLST) carried the same plasmids and had limited differences in the resistome. The 11 E. coli outbreak isolates showed great variety in STs, did not cluster using wgMLST, and showed considerable diversity in resistome and plasmid profiles. The blaNDM-1 gene-carrying plasmid present in the ST873 K. pneumoniae isolates was found in all the other Enterobacteriaceae species cultured at the outbreak location and in a single E. coli isolate from another HCC. We describe a hospital outbreak with an NDM-1-producing K. pneumoniae strain from an unknown source that was also found in patients from five other Dutch HCCs in the same time frame without an epidemiological link. Interspecies transfer of the resistance plasmid was observed in other Enterobacteriaceae species isolated at the outbreak location and in another HCC.
- NDM-producing Enterobacteriaceae in Poland, 2012-14: inter-regional outbreak of Klebsiella pneumoniae ST11 and sporadic cases.
- Authors: Baraniak A, Izdebski R, Fiett J, Gawryszewska I, Bojarska K, Herda M, Literacka E, Żabicka D, Tomczak H, Pewińska N, Szarata M, Ozorowski T, Milner A, Hryniewicz W, Gniadkowski M
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Dissemination of the <i>bla</i> <sub>NDM-5</sub> Gene via IncX3-Type Plasmid among <i>Enterobacteriaceae</i> in Children.
- Authors: Tian D, Wang B, Zhang H, Pan F, Wang C, Shi Y, Sun Y
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 8
- Tracking inter-institutional spread of NDM and identification of a novel NDM-positive plasmid, pSg1-NDM, using next-generation sequencing approaches.
- Authors: Khong WX, Marimuthu K, Teo J, Ding Y, Xia E, Lee JJ, Ong RT, Venkatachalam I, Cherng B, Pada SK, Choong WL, Smitasin N, Ooi ST, Deepak RN, Kurup A, Fong R, Van La M, Tan TY, Koh TH, Lin RT, Tan EL, Krishnan PU, Singh S, Pitout JD, Teo YY, Yang L, Ng OT, Carbapenemase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae in Singapore (CaPES) Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Covert dissemination of carbapenemase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae (KPC) in a successfully controlled outbreak: long- and short-read whole-genome sequencing demonstrate multiple genetic modes of transmission.
- Authors: Martin J, Phan HTT, Findlay J, Stoesser N, Pankhurst L, Navickaite I, De Maio N, Eyre DW, Toogood G, Orsi NM, Kirby A, Young N, Turton JF, Hill RLR, Hopkins KL, Woodford N, Peto TEA, Walker AS, Crook DW, Wilcox MH
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 1
- Outbreak of carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae containing blaNDM-1, Ontario, Canada.
- Authors: Borgia S, Lastovetska O, Richardson D, Eshaghi A, Xiong J, Chung C, Baqi M, McGeer A, Ricci G, Sawicki R, Pantelidis R, Low DE, Patel SN, Melano RG
- Issue date: 2012 Dec