WHO Environmental Noise Guidelines for the European Region: A Systematic Review of Transport Noise Interventions and Their Impacts on Health.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
TitleWHO Environmental Noise Guidelines for the European Region: A Systematic Review of Transport Noise Interventions and Their Impacts on Health.
Published inInt J Environ Res Public Health 2017, 14(8):873
PubliekssamenvattingThis paper describes a systematic review (1980-2014) of evidence on effects of transport noise interventions on human health. The sources are road traffic, railways, and air traffic. Health outcomes include sleep disturbance, annoyance, cognitive impairment of children and cardiovascular diseases. A conceptual framework to classify noise interventions and health effects was developed. Evidence was thinly spread across source types, outcomes, and intervention types. Further, diverse intervention study designs, methods of analyses, exposure levels, and changes in exposure do not allow a meta-analysis of the association between changes in noise level and health outcomes, and risk of bias in most studies was high. However, 43 individual transport noise intervention studies were examined (33 road traffic; 7 air traffic; 3 rail) as to whether the intervention was associated with a change in health outcome. Results showed that many of the interventions were associated with changes in health outcomes irrespective of the source type, the outcome or intervention type (source, path or infrastructure). For road traffic sources and the annoyance outcome, the expected effect-size can be estimated from an appropriate exposure-response function, though the change in annoyance in most studies was larger than could be expected based on noise level change.
- WHO Environmental Noise Guidelines for the European Region: A Systematic Review on Environmental Noise and Annoyance.
- Authors: Guski R, Schreckenberg D, Schuemer R
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 8
- Nocturnal air, road, and rail traffic noise and daytime cognitive performance and annoyance.
- Authors: Elmenhorst EM, Quehl J, Müller U, Basner M
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Development of the WHO Environmental Noise Guidelines for the European Region: An Introduction.
- Authors: Jarosińska D, Héroux MÈ, Wilkhu P, Creswick J, Verbeek J, Wothge J, Paunović E
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 20
- Annoyance from Road Traffic, Trains, Airplanes and from Total Environmental Noise Levels.
- Authors: Ragettli MS, Goudreau S, Plante C, Perron S, Fournier M, Smargiassi A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 29
- The Combined Effects of Aircraft and Road Traffic Noise and Aircraft and Railway Noise on Noise Annoyance-An Analysis in the Context of the Joint Research Initiative NORAH.
- Authors: Wothge J, Belke C, Möhler U, Guski R, Schreckenberg D
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 2