Environmental surveillance during an outbreak of tularaemia in hares, the Netherlands, 2015.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Rijks, Jolianne M
van der Plaats, Rozemarijn Qj
van der Tas, Peter
Notermans, Daan W
de Vries, Maaike C
Kik, Marja Jl
Jaarsma, Ryanne I
van Wieren, Sip
de Roda-Husman, Ana Maria
van Passel, Mark
van der Giessen, Joke
MetadataShow full item record
TitleEnvironmental surveillance during an outbreak of tularaemia in hares, the Netherlands, 2015.
Published inEuro Surveill 2017, 22(35): pii:30607
PubliekssamenvattingTularaemia, a disease caused by the bacterium Francisella tularensis, is a re-emerging zoonosis in the Netherlands. After sporadic human and hare cases occurred in the period 2011 to 2014, a cluster of F. tularensis-infected hares was recognised in a region in the north of the Netherlands from February to May 2015. No human cases were identified, including after active case finding. Presence of F. tularensis was investigated in potential reservoirs and transmission routes, including common voles, arthropod vectors and surface waters. F. tularensis was not detected in common voles, mosquito larvae or adults, tabanids or ticks. However, the bacterium was detected in water and sediment samples collected in a limited geographical area where infected hares had also been found. These results demonstrate that water monitoring could provide valuable information regarding F. tularensis spread and persistence, and should be used in addition to disease surveillance in wildlife.
- Environmental Surveillance of Zoonotic <i>Francisella tularensis</i> in the Netherlands.
- Authors: Janse I, van der Plaats RQJ, de Roda Husman AM, van Passel MWJ
- Issue date: 2018
- Outbreak of tularaemia in brown hares (Lepus europaeus) in France, January to March 2011.
- Authors: Decors A, Lesage C, Jourdain E, Giraud P, Houbron P, Vanhem P, Madani N
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 14
- Tularaemia in a brown hare (Lepus europaeus) in 2013: first case in the Netherlands in 60 years.
- Authors: Rijks JM, Kik M, Koene MG, Engelsma MY, van Tulden P, Montizaan MG, Oomen T, Spierenburg MA, Ijzer J, van der Giessen JW, Gröne A, Roest HJ
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 5
- Infections with Francisella tularensis biovar palaearctica in hares (Lepus timidus, Lepus europaeus) from Sweden.
- Authors: Mörner T, Sandström G, Mattsson R, Nilsson PO
- Issue date: 1988 Jul
- Francisella tularensis and other bacteria in hares and ticks in North Rhine-Westphalia (Germany).
- Authors: Tomaso H, Otto P, Peters M, Süss J, Karger A, Schamoni H, Zuchantke E, Hotzel H
- Issue date: 2018 Feb