Zoonotic bacteria and parasites found in raw meat-based diets for cats and dogs.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Authorsvan Bree, Freek P J
Bokken, Gertie C A M
van der Giessen, Joke W B
Lipman, Len J A
Overgaauw, Paul A M
MetadataShow full item record
TitleZoonotic bacteria and parasites found in raw meat-based diets for cats and dogs.
Published inVet Rec 2018; 182(2):50
PubliekssamenvattingFeeding raw meat-based diets (RMBDs) to companion animals has become increasingly popular. Since these diets may be contaminated with bacteria and parasites, they may pose a risk to both animal and human health. The purpose of this study was to test for the presence of zoonotic bacterial and parasitic pathogens in Dutch commercial RMBDs. We analysed 35 commercial frozen RMBDs from eight different brands. Escherichia coli serotype O157:H7 was isolated from eight products (23 per cent) and extended-spectrum beta-lactamases-producing E coli was found in 28 products (80 per cent). Listeria monocytogenes was present in 19 products (54 per cent), other Listeria species in 15 products (43 per cent) and Salmonella species in seven products (20 per cent). Concerning parasites, four products (11 per cent) contained Sarcocystis cruzi and another four (11 per cent) S tenella In two products (6 per cent) Toxoplasma gondii was found. The results of this study demonstrate the presence of potential zoonotic pathogens in frozen RMBDs that may be a possible source of bacterial infections in pet animals and if transmitted pose a risk for human beings. If non-frozen meat is fed, parasitic infections are also possible. Pet owners should therefore be informed about the risks associated with feeding their animals RMBDs.
- Raw Meat-Based Diets in Dogs and Cats.
- Authors: Fredriksson-Ahomaa M, Heikkilä T, Pernu N, Kovanen S, Hielm-Björkman A, Kivistö R
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 28
- Fecal shedding of Salmonella spp., Clostridium perfringens, and Clostridioides difficile in dogs fed raw meat-based diets in Brazil and their owners' motivation.
- Authors: Viegas FM, Ramos CP, Xavier RGC, Lopes EO, Júnior CAO, Bagno RM, Diniz AN, Lobato FCF, Silva ROS
- Issue date: 2020
- Evaluating the presence of human pathogens in commercially frozen, biologically appropriate raw pet food sold in Italy.
- Authors: Bottari B, Bancalari E, Barera A, Ghidini S, Gatti M
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 3
- Evaluation of bacterial and protozoal contamination of commercially available raw meat diets for dogs.
- Authors: Strohmeyer RA, Morley PS, Hyatt DR, Dargatz DA, Scorza AV, Lappin MR
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 15
- Raw meat-based diets for dogs: survey of owners' motivations, attitudes and practices.
- Authors: Morelli G, Bastianello S, Catellani P, Ricci R
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 4