Novel identified aluminum hydroxide-induced pathways proof monocyte activation and pro-inflammatory preparedness.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
van Els, Cécile A C M
Heck, Albert J R
Mommen, Geert P M
Kersten, Gideon F A
Pennings, Jeroen L A
Meiring, Hugo D
MetadataShow full item record
TitleNovel identified aluminum hydroxide-induced pathways proof monocyte activation and pro-inflammatory preparedness.
Published inJ Proteomics 2018; 175:144-55
PubliekssamenvattingAluminum-based adjuvants are the most widely used adjuvants in human vaccines. A comprehensive understanding of the mechanism of action of aluminum adjuvants at the molecular level, however, is still elusive. Here, we unravel the effects of aluminum hydroxide Al(OH)3 by a systems-wide analysis of the Al(OH)3-induced monocyte response. Cell response analysis by cytokine release was combined with (targeted) transcriptome and full proteome analysis. Results from this comprehensive study revealed two novel pathways to become activated upon monocyte stimulation with Al(OH)3: the first pathway was IFNβ signaling possibly induced by DAMP sensing pathways like TLR or NOD1 activation, and second the HLA class I antigen processing and presentation pathway. Furthermore, known mechanisms of the adjuvant activity of Al(OH)3 were elucidated in more detail such as inflammasome and complement activation, homeostasis and HLA-class II upregulation, possibly related to increased IFNγ gene expression. Altogether, our study revealed which immunological pathways are activated upon stimulation of monocytes with Al(OH)3, refining our knowledge on the adjuvant effect of Al(OH)3 in primary monocytes.
- Vaccine antigens modulate the innate response of monocytes to Al(OH)3.
- Authors: Kooijman S, Brummelman J, van Els CACM, Marino F, Heck AJR, van Riet E, Metz B, Kersten GFA, Pennings JLA, Meiring HD
- Issue date: 2018
- Activation of Human Monocytes by Colloidal Aluminum Salts.
- Authors: Vrieling H, Kooijman S, de Ridder JW, Thies-Weesie DME, Soema PC, Jiskoot W, van Riet E, Heck AJR, Philipse AP, Kersten GFA, Meiring HD, Pennings JL, Metz B
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Advances in aluminum hydroxide-based adjuvant research and its mechanism.
- Authors: He P, Zou Y, Hu Z
- Issue date: 2015
- The Common vaccine adjuvant aluminum hydroxide up-regulates accessory properties of human monocytes via an interleukin-4-dependent mechanism.
- Authors: Ulanova M, Tarkowski A, Hahn-Zoric M, Hanson LA
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- Adjuvant-induced Human Monocyte Secretome Profiles Reveal Adjuvant- and Age-specific Protein Signatures.
- Authors: Oh DY, Dowling DJ, Ahmed S, Choi H, Brightman S, Bergelson I, Berger ST, Sauld JF, Pettengill M, Kho AT, Pollack HJ, Steen H, Levy O
- Issue date: 2016 Jun