Zoonotic Infection with Pigeon Paramyxovirus Type 1 linked to Fatal Pneumonia.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
van den Hoogen, Bernadette
Kerkhoffs, Jean-Louis H
Kroes, Aloys C M
van Run, Peter
MetadataShow full item record
TitleZoonotic Infection with Pigeon Paramyxovirus Type 1 linked to Fatal Pneumonia.
Published inJ Infect Dis 2018; advance online publication (ahead of print)
PubliekssamenvattingThe characteristics and risk factors of pigeon paramyxovirus type 1 (PPMV-1) infection in humans are poorly known. We performed virological, pathological and epidemiological analyses of a Dutch case, and compared the results with those of a US case. Both infections occurred in transplant patients under immunosuppressive therapy and caused fatal respiratory failure. Both virus isolates clustered with avian paramyxovirus type 1 (APMV-1) genotype VIb/1, which has pigeons and doves as reservoir. Experimentally inoculated pigeons became infected and transmitted the virus to naïve pigeons. Likely route of transmission to both patients was direct or indirect contact with infected pigeons or doves. Given the large populations of feral pigeons with endemic PPMV-1 infection in cities, increasing urbanisation and a higher proportion of immunocompromised individuals, the risk of severe human PPMV-1 infections may increase. We recommend to test for APMV-1, including PPMV-1, in respiratory disease cases where common respiratory pathogens cannot be identified.
- A comparative infection study of pigeon and avian paramyxovirus type 1 viruses in pigeons: evaluation of clinical signs, virus shedding and seroconversion.
- Authors: Dortmans JC, Koch G, Rottier PJ, Peeters BP
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- [Study on challenge dose of pigeon paramyxovirus type 1 (Chuansha strain)].
- Authors: Zhang JP, Yang HP, Jiang FY, Ni JP, Li CH
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Phylogenetic, antigenic and biological characterization of pigeon paramyxovirus type 1 circulating in China.
- Authors: Qiu X, Meng C, Zhan Y, Yu S, Li S, Ren T, Yuan W, Xu S, Sun Y, Tan L, Song C, Liao Y, Ding Z, Liu X, Ding C
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 29
- Pigeon paramyxovirus: association with common avian pathogens in chickens and serologic survey in wild birds.
- Authors: Toro H, Hoerr FJ, Farmer K, Dykstra CC, Roberts SR, Perdue M
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Natural Infections With Pigeon Paramyxovirus Serotype 1: Pathologic Changes in Eurasian Collared-Doves ( Streptopelia decaocto) and Rock Pigeons ( Columba livia) in the United States.
- Authors: Isidoro-Ayza M, Afonso CL, Stanton JB, Knowles S, Ip HS, White CL, Fenton H, Ruder MG, Dolinski AC, Lankton J
- Issue date: 2017 Jul