Method selection for sustainability assessments: The case of recovery of resources from waste water.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsZijp, M C
Waaijers-van der Loop, S L
Broeren, M L M
Van Nieuwenhuijzen, A
Heugens, E H W
MetadataShow full item record
TitleMethod selection for sustainability assessments: The case of recovery of resources from waste water.
Published inJ Environ Manage 2017; 197:221-30
PubliekssamenvattingSustainability assessments provide scientific support in decision procedures towards sustainable solutions. However, in order to contribute in identifying and choosing sustainable solutions, the sustainability assessment has to fit the decision context. Two complicating factors exist. First, different stakeholders tend to have different views on what a sustainability assessment should encompass. Second, a plethora of sustainability assessment methods exist, due to the multi-dimensional characteristic of the concept. Different methods provide other representations of sustainability. Based on a literature review, we present a protocol to facilitate method selection together with stakeholders. The protocol guides the exploration of i) the decision context, ii) the different views of stakeholders and iii) the selection of pertinent assessment methods. In addition, we present an online tool for method selection. This tool identifies assessment methods that meet the specifications obtained with the protocol, and currently contains characteristics of 30 sustainability assessment methods. The utility of the protocol and the tool are tested in a case study on the recovery of resources from domestic waste water. In several iterations, a combination of methods was selected, followed by execution of the selected sustainability assessment methods. The assessment results can be used in the first phase of the decision procedure that leads to a strategic choice for sustainable resource recovery from waste water in the Netherlands.
- An innovative sustainability assessment for urban wastewater infrastructure and its application in Chengdu, China.
- Authors: Murray A, Ray I, Nelson KL
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Socio-technical strategies and behavior change to increase the adoption and sustainability of wastewater resource recovery systems.
- Authors: Prouty C, Mohebbi S, Zhang Q
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 15
- Authors: Chang CC, DiGiovanni K, Mei Y
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Authors: Chang CC, DiGiovanni K, Mei Y, Wei L
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- A conceptual framework for a multi-criteria decision support tool to select technologies for resource recovery from urban wastewater.
- Authors: Sucu S, van Schaik MO, Esmeli R, Ouelhadj D, Holloway T, Williams JB, Cruddas P, Martinson DB, Chen WS, Cappon HJ
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 15