Prospective evaluation of antibody response to Streptococcus gallolyticus and risk of colorectal cancer.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
la Vecchia, Carlo
Bonet Bonet, Catalina
MetadataShow full item record
TitleProspective evaluation of antibody response to Streptococcus gallolyticus and risk of colorectal cancer.
Published inInt J cancer 2018; advance online publication (ahead of print)
PubliekssamenvattingThe gut microbiome is increasingly implicated in colorectal cancer (CRC) development. A subgroup of patients diagnosed with CRC show high antibody responses to Streptococcus gallolyticus subspecies gallolyticus (SGG). However, it is unclear whether the association is also present pre-diagnostically. We assessed the association of antibody responses to SGG proteins in pre-diagnostic serum samples with CRC risk in a case-control study nested within a prospective cohort. Pre-diagnostic serum samples from 485 first incident CRC cases (mean time between blood draw and diagnosis 3.4 years) and 485 matched controls in the European Prospective Investigation into Nutrition and Cancer (EPIC) study were analyzed for antibody responses to eleven SGG proteins using multiplex serology. Odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) were estimated using multivariable conditional logistic regression models. Antibody positivity for any of the eleven SGG proteins was significantly associated with CRC risk with 56% positive controls compared to 63% positive cases (OR: 1.36, 95% CI: 1.04-1.77). Positivity for two or more proteins of a previously identified SGG 6-marker panel with greater CRC-specificity was also observed among 9% of controls compared to 17% of CRC cases, corresponding to a significantly increased CRC risk (OR: 2.17, 95% CI: 1.44-3.27). In this prospective nested case-control study we observed a positive association between antibody responses to SGG and CRC development in serum samples taken pre-diagnostically. Further work is required to establish the possibly etiological significance of these observations and whether SGG serology may be applicable for CRC risk stratification. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Antibody Responses to <i>Streptococcus Gallolyticus</i> Subspecies <i>Gallolyticus</i> Proteins in a Large Prospective Colorectal Cancer Cohort Consortium.
- Authors: Butt J, Blot WJ, Teras LR, Visvanathan K, Le Marchand L, Haiman CA, Chen Y, Bao Y, Sesso HD, Wassertheil-Smoller S, Ho GY, Tinker LF, Peek RM, Potter JD, Cover TL, Hendrix LH, Huang LC, Waterboer T, Pawlita M, Epplein M
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Serology of Streptococcus gallolyticus subspecies gallolyticus and its association with colorectal cancer and precursors.
- Authors: Butt J, Werner S, Willhauck-Fleckenstein M, Michel A, Waterboer T, Zörnig I, Boleij A, Dramsi S, Brenner H, Pawlita M
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 1
- Association of Streptococcus gallolyticus subspecies gallolyticus with colorectal cancer: Serological evidence.
- Authors: Butt J, Romero-Hernández B, Pérez-Gómez B, Willhauck-Fleckenstein M, Holzinger D, Martin V, Moreno V, Linares C, Dierssen-Sotos T, Barricarte A, Tardón A, Altzibar JM, Moreno-Osset E, Franco F, Requena RO, Huerta JM, Michel A, Waterboer T, Castaño-Vinyals G, Kogevinas M, Pollán M, Boleij A, de Sanjosé S, Del Campo R, Tjalsma H, Aragonés N, Pawlita M
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 1
- Real-time fluorescence loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid and sensitive detection of Streptococcus gallolyticus subsp. gallolyticus associated with colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Lin Q, Ye X, Yang B, Fang X, Chen H, Weng W, Kong J
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Antibody responses to flagellin C and Streptococcus gallolyticus pilus proteins in colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Butt J, Fernández de Larrea N, Tjalsma H, Roelofs R, Kato I, Martín V, Pérez-Gómez B, Moreno V, Dierssen-Sotos T, Castilla J, Fernández-Tardón G, Amiano P, Salas D, Alguacil J, Jiménez-Moleón JJ, Huerta JM, de Sanjosé S, Del Campo R, Kogevinas M, Pollán M, Pawlita M, Waterboer T, Boleij A, Aragonés N
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 26