The Arabidopsis SUMO E3 ligase SIZ1 mediates the temperature dependent trade-off between plant immunity and growth.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Wackers, Paul F K
Jonker, Martijs J
van den Burg, Harrold A
MetadataShow full item record
TitleThe Arabidopsis SUMO E3 ligase SIZ1 mediates the temperature dependent trade-off between plant immunity and growth.
Published inPlos Genetics 2018; 14(1):e1007157
PubliekssamenvattingIncreased ambient temperature is inhibitory to plant immunity including auto-immunity. SNC1-dependent auto-immunity is, for example, fully suppressed at 28°C. We found that the Arabidopsis sumoylation mutant siz1 displays SNC1-dependent auto-immunity at 22°C but also at 28°C, which was EDS1 dependent at both temperatures. This siz1 auto-immune phenotype provided enhanced resistance to Pseudomonas at both temperatures. Moreover, the rosette size of siz1 recovered only weakly at 28°C, while this temperature fully rescues the growth defects of other SNC1-dependent auto-immune mutants. This thermo-insensitivity of siz1 correlated with a compromised thermosensory growth response, which was independent of the immune regulators PAD4 or SNC1. Our data reveal that this high temperature induced growth response strongly depends on COP1, while SIZ1 controls the amplitude of this growth response. This latter notion is supported by transcriptomics data, i.e. SIZ1 controls the amplitude and timing of high temperature transcriptional changes including a subset of the PIF4/BZR1 gene targets. Combined our data signify that SIZ1 suppresses an SNC1-dependent resistance response at both normal and high temperatures. At the same time, SIZ1 amplifies the dark and high temperature growth response, likely via COP1 and upstream of gene regulation by PIF4 and BRZ1.
- Sumoylation E3 Ligase SIZ1 Modulates Plant Immunity Partly through the Immune Receptor Gene SNC1 in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Gou M, Huang Q, Qian W, Zhang Z, Jia Z, Hua J
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- The SUMO Conjugation Complex Self-Assembles into Nuclear Bodies Independent of SIZ1 and COP1.
- Authors: Mazur MJ, Kwaaitaal M, Mateos MA, Maio F, Kini RK, Prins M, van den Burg HA
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- SIZ1-Mediated SUMOylation of TPR1 Suppresses Plant Immunity in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Niu D, Lin XL, Kong X, Qu GP, Cai B, Lee J, Jin JB
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 4
- An Arabidopsis SUMO E3 Ligase, SIZ1, Negatively Regulates Photomorphogenesis by Promoting COP1 Activity.
- Authors: Lin XL, Niu D, Hu ZL, Kim DH, Jin YH, Cai B, Liu P, Miura K, Yun DJ, Kim WY, Lin R, Jin JB
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Salicylic acid-mediated innate immunity in Arabidopsis is regulated by SIZ1 SUMO E3 ligase.
- Authors: Lee J, Nam J, Park HC, Na G, Miura K, Jin JB, Yoo CY, Baek D, Kim DH, Jeong JC, Kim D, Lee SY, Salt DE, Mengiste T, Gong Q, Ma S, Bohnert HJ, Kwak SS, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM, Yun DJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jan