Ebola in the Netherlands, 2014-2015: costs of preparedness and response.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSuijkerbuijk, Anita W M
Swaan, Corien M
Mangen, Marie-Josee J
Polder, Johan J
Ruijs, Wilhelmina L M
MetadataShow full item record
TitleEbola in the Netherlands, 2014-2015: costs of preparedness and response.
Published inEur J Health Econ 2018; 19(7):935-43
PubliekssamenvattingThe recent epidemic of Ebola virus disease (EVD) resulted in countries worldwide to prepare for the possibility of having an EVD patient. In this study, we estimate the costs of Ebola preparedness and response borne by the Dutch health system. An activity-based costing method was used, in which the cost of staff time spent in preparedness and response activities was calculated based on a time-recording system and interviews with key professionals at the healthcare organizations involved. In addition, the organizations provided cost information on patient days of hospitalization, laboratory tests, personal protective equipment (PPE), as well as the additional cleaning and disinfection required. The estimated total costs averaged €12.6 million, ranging from €6.7 to €22.5 million. The main cost drivers were PPE expenditures and preparedness activities of personnel, especially those associated with ambulance services and hospitals. There were 13 possible cases clinically evaluated and one confirmed case admitted to hospital. The estimated total cost of EVD preparedness and response in the Netherlands was substantial. Future costs might be reduced and efficiency increased by designating one ambulance service for transportation and fewer hospitals for the assessment of possible patients with a highly infectious disease of high consequences.
- Ebola Preparedness Resources for Acute-Care Hospitals in the United States: A Cross-Sectional Study of Costs, Benefits, and Challenges.
- Authors: Smit MA, Rasinski KA, Braun BI, Kusek LL, Milstone AM, Morgan DJ, Mermel LA
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Ebola Preparedness in the Netherlands: The Need for Coordination Between the Public Health and the Curative Sector.
- Authors: Swaan CM, Öry AV, Schol LGC, Jacobi A, Richardus JH, Timen A
- Issue date: 2018 Jan/Feb
- Health care workers indicate ill preparedness for Ebola Virus Disease outbreak in Ashanti Region of Ghana.
- Authors: Annan AA, Yar DD, Owusu M, Biney EA, Forson PK, Okyere PB, Gyimah AA, Owusu-Dabo E
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 6
- Uganda's experience in Ebola virus disease outbreak preparedness, 2018-2019.
- Authors: Aceng JR, Ario AR, Muruta AN, Makumbi I, Nanyunja M, Komakech I, Bakainaga AN, Talisuna AO, Mwesigye C, Mpairwe AM, Tusiime JB, Lali WZ, Katushabe E, Ocom F, Kaggwa M, Bongomin B, Kasule H, Mwoga JN, Sensasi B, Mwebembezi E, Katureebe C, Sentumbwe O, Nalwadda R, Mbaka P, Fatunmbi BS, Nakiire L, Lamorde M, Walwema R, Kambugu A, Nanyondo J, Okware S, Ahabwe PB, Nabukenya I, Kayiwa J, Wetaka MM, Kyazze S, Kwesiga B, Kadobera D, Bulage L, Nanziri C, Monje F, Aliddeki DM, Ntono V, Gonahasa D, Nabatanzi S, Nsereko G, Nakinsige A, Mabumba E, Lubwama B, Sekamatte M, Kibuule M, Muwanguzi D, Amone J, Upenytho GD, Driwale A, Seru M, Sebisubi F, Akello H, Kabanda R, Mutengeki DK, Bakyaita T, Serwanjja VN, Okwi R, Okiria J, Ainebyoona E, Opar BT, Mimbe D, Kyabaggu D, Ayebazibwe C, Sentumbwe J, Mwanja M, Ndumu DB, Bwogi J, Balinandi S, Nyakarahuka L, Tumusiime A, Kyondo J, Mulei S, Lutwama J, Kaleebu P, Kagirita A, Nabadda S, Oumo P, Lukwago R, Kasozi J, Masylukov O, Kyobe HB, Berdaga V, Lwanga M, Opio JC, Matseketse D, Eyul J, Oteba MO, Bukirwa H, Bulya N, Masiira B, Kihembo C, Ohuabunwo C, Antara SN, Owembabazi W, Okot PB, Okwera J, Amoros I, Kajja V, Mukunda BS, Sorela I, Adams G, Shoemaker T, Klena JD, Taboy CH, Ward SE, Merrill RD, Carter RJ, Harris JR, Banage F, Nsibambi T, Ojwang J, Kasule JN, Stowell DF, Brown VR, Zhu BP, Homsy J, Nelson LJ, Tusiime PK, Olaro C, Mwebesa HG, Woldemariam YT
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 19
- The Cost and Public Health System Effects of Active Monitoring and Illness Response for Ebola Virus Disease: A Case Evaluation of Georgia.
- Authors: Phillips V, Njau JD, Edison L, Brown C
- Issue date: 2020 May/Jun