Ovarian cancer early detection by circulating CA125 in the context of anti-CA125 autoantibody levels: Results from the EPIC cohort.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsFortner, Renée T
Le Cornet, Charlotte
Vitonis, Allison F
Johnson, Theron S
Fichorova, Raina N
Yamamoto, Hidemi S
La Vecchia, Carlo
Onland-Moret, N Charlotte
Peeters, Petra H
Bueno-de-Mesquita, H B As
Quirós, J Ramón
Duell, Eric J
Travis, Ruth C
Merritt, Melissa A
Terry, Kathryn L
Cramer, Daniel W
MetadataShow full item record
TitleOvarian cancer early detection by circulating CA125 in the context of anti-CA125 autoantibody levels: Results from the EPIC cohort.
Published inInt J Cancer 2087; 142(7):1355-60
PubliekssamenvattingCA125 is the best ovarian cancer early detection marker to date; however, sensitivity is limited and complementary markers are required to improve discrimination between ovarian cancer cases and non-cases. Anti-CA125 autoantibodies are observed in circulation. Our objective was to evaluate whether these antibodies (1) can serve as early detection markers, providing evidence of an immune response to a developing tumor, and (2) modify the discriminatory capacity of CA125 by either masking CA125 levels (resulting in lower discrimination) or acting synergistically to improve discrimination between cases and non-cases. We investigated these objectives using a nested case-control study within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort (EPIC) including 250 cases diagnosed within 4 years of blood collection and up to four matched controls. Circulating CA125 antigen and antibody levels were quantified using an electrochemiluminescence assay. Adjusted areas under the curve (aAUCs) by 2-year lag-time intervals were calculated using conditional logistic regression calibrated toward the absolute risk estimates from a pre-existing epidemiological risk model as an offset-variable. Anti-CA125 levels alone did not discriminate cases from controls. For cases diagnosed <2 years after blood collection, discrimination by CA125 antigen was suggestively higher with higher anti-CA125 levels (aAUC, highest antibody tertile: 0.84 [0.76-0.92]; lowest tertile: 0.76 [0.67-0.86]; phet = 0.06). We provide the first evidence of potentially synergistic discrimination effects of CA125 and anti-CA125 antibodies in ovarian early detection. If these findings are replicated, evaluating CA125 in the context of its antibody may improve ovarian cancer early detection.
- Tumor-associated autoantibodies as early detection markers for ovarian cancer? A prospective evaluation.
- Authors: Kaaks R, Fortner RT, Hüsing A, Barrdahl M, Hopper M, Johnson T, Tjønneland A, Hansen L, Overvad K, Fournier A, Boutron-Ruault MC, Kvaskoff M, Dossus L, Johansson M, Boeing H, Trichopoulou A, Benetou V, La Vecchia C, Sieri S, Mattiello A, Palli D, Tumino R, Matullo G, Onland-Moret NC, Gram IT, Weiderpass E, Sánchez MJ, Navarro Sanchez C, Duell EJ, Ardanaz E, Larranaga N, Lundin E, Idahl A, Jirström K, Nodin B, Travis RC, Riboli E, Merritt M, Aune D, Terry K, Cramer DW, Anderson KS
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 1
- Combination of CA125 and RECAF biomarkers for early detection of ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Tcherkassova J, Abramovich C, Moro R, Chen C, Schmit R, Gerber A, Moro R
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Comparison of candidate serologic markers for type I and type II ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Lu D, Kuhn E, Bristow RE, Giuntoli RL 2nd, Kjær SK, Shih IeM, Roden RB
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Correlates of circulating ovarian cancer early detection markers and their contribution to discrimination of early detection models: results from the EPIC cohort.
- Authors: Fortner RT, Vitonis AF, Schock H, Hüsing A, Johnson T, Fichorova RN, Fashemi T, Yamamoto HS, Tjønneland A, Hansen L, Overvad K, Boutron-Ruault MC, Kvaskoff M, Severi G, Boeing H, Trichopoulou A, Benetou V, La Vecchia C, Palli D, Sieri S, Tumino R, Matullo G, Mattiello A, Onland-Moret NC, Peeters PH, Weiderpass E, Gram IT, Jareid M, Quirós JR, Duell EJ, Sánchez MJ, Chirlaque MD, Ardanaz E, Larrañaga N, Nodin B, Brändstedt J, Idahl A, Khaw KT, Allen N, Gunter M, Johansson M, Dossus L, Merritt MA, Riboli E, Cramer DW, Kaaks R, Terry KL
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 20
- A Prospective Evaluation of Early Detection Biomarkers for Ovarian Cancer in the European EPIC Cohort.
- Authors: Terry KL, Schock H, Fortner RT, Hüsing A, Fichorova RN, Yamamoto HS, Vitonis AF, Johnson T, Overvad K, Tjønneland A, Boutron-Ruault MC, Mesrine S, Severi G, Dossus L, Rinaldi S, Boeing H, Benetou V, Lagiou P, Trichopoulou A, Krogh V, Kuhn E, Panico S, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Onland-Moret NC, Peeters PH, Gram IT, Weiderpass E, Duell EJ, Sanchez MJ, Ardanaz E, Etxezarreta N, Navarro C, Idahl A, Lundin E, Jirström K, Manjer J, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT, Byrne KS, Travis RC, Gunter MJ, Merritt MA, Riboli E, Cramer DW, Kaaks R
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 15