Living Close to Natural Outdoor Environments in Four European Cities: Adults' Contact with the Environments and Physical Activity.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
van den Berg, Magdalena
Gidlow, Christopher J
Nieuwenhuijsen, Mark J
MetadataShow full item record
TitleLiving Close to Natural Outdoor Environments in Four European Cities: Adults' Contact with the Environments and Physical Activity.
Published inInt J Environ Res Public Health 2017; 14(10):1162
PubliekssamenvattingThis study investigated whether residential availability of natural outdoor environments (NOE) was associated with contact with NOE, overall physical activity and physical activity in NOE, in four different European cities using objective measures. A nested cross-sectional study was conducted in Barcelona (Spain); Stoke-on-Trent (United Kingdom); Doetinchem (The Netherlands); and Kaunas (Lithuania). Smartphones were used to collect information on the location and physical activity (overall and NOE) of around 100 residents of each city over seven days. We used Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to determine residential NOE availability (presence/absence of NOE within 300 m buffer from residence), contact with NOE (time spent in NOE), overall PA (total physical activity), NOE PA (total physical activity in NOE). Potential effect modifiers were investigated. Participants spent around 40 min in NOE and 80 min doing overall PA daily, of which 11% was in NOE. Having residential NOE availability was consistently linked with higher NOE contact during weekdays, but not to overall PA. Having residential NOE availability was related to NOE PA, especially for our Barcelona participants, people that lived in a city with low NOE availability.
- Natural outdoor environments and mental health: Stress as a possible mechanism.
- Authors: Triguero-Mas M, Donaire-Gonzalez D, Seto E, Valentín A, Martínez D, Smith G, Hurst G, Carrasco-Turigas G, Masterson D, van den Berg M, Ambròs A, Martínez-Íñiguez T, Dedele A, Ellis N, Grazulevicius T, Voorsmit M, Cirach M, Cirac-Claveras J, Swart W, Clasquin E, Ruijsbroek A, Maas J, Jerret M, Gražulevičienė R, Kruize H, Gidlow CJ, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Characterisation of the natural environment: quantitative indicators across Europe.
- Authors: Smith G, Cirach M, Swart W, Dėdelė A, Gidlow C, van Kempen E, Kruize H, Gražulevičienė R, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 26
- The relationship between natural outdoor environments and cognitive functioning and its mediators.
- Authors: Zijlema WL, Triguero-Mas M, Smith G, Cirach M, Martinez D, Dadvand P, Gascon M, Jones M, Gidlow C, Hurst G, Masterson D, Ellis N, van den Berg M, Maas J, van Kamp I, van den Hazel P, Kruize H, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Julvez J
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Dog ownership, the natural outdoor environment and health: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Zijlema WL, Christian H, Triguero-Mas M, Cirach M, van den Berg M, Maas J, Gidlow CJ, Kruize H, Wendel-Vos W, Andrušaitytė S, Grazuleviciene R, Litt J, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ
- Issue date: 2019 May 27
- Neighbourhood green space, social environment and mental health: an examination in four European cities.
- Authors: Ruijsbroek A, Mohnen SM, Droomers M, Kruize H, Gidlow C, Gražulevičiene R, Andrusaityte S, Maas J, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Triguero-Mas M, Masterson D, Ellis N, van Kempen E, Hardyns W, Stronks K, Groenewegen PP
- Issue date: 2017 Jul