Identifying the source of food-borne disease outbreaks: An application of Bayesian variable selection.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
TitleIdentifying the source of food-borne disease outbreaks: An application of Bayesian variable selection.
Published inStat Methods Med Res 2019; 28(4):1126-40
PubliekssamenvattingEarly identification of contaminated food products is crucial in reducing health burdens of food-borne disease outbreaks. Analytic case-control studies are primarily used in this identification stage by comparing exposures in cases and controls using logistic regression. Standard epidemiological analysis practice is not formally defined and the combination of currently applied methods is subject to issues such as response misclassification, missing values, multiple testing problems and small sample estimation problems resulting in biased and possibly misleading results. In this paper, we develop a formal Bayesian variable selection method to account for misclassified responses and missing covariates, which are common complications in food-borne outbreak investigations. We illustrate the implementation and performance of our method on a Salmonella Thompson outbreak in the Netherlands in 2012. Our method is shown to perform better than the standard logistic regression approach with respect to earlier identification of contaminated food products. It also allows relatively easy implementation of otherwise complex methodological issues.
- Outbreaks of food borne diseases in the Lazio region, Italy: the results of epidemiological field investigations.
- Authors: Faustini A, Giorgi Rossi P, Perucci CA, Food borne Outbreak Control Teams.
- Issue date: 2003
- Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks - United States, 1998-2008.
- Authors: Gould LH, Walsh KA, Vieira AR, Herman K, Williams IT, Hall AJ, Cole D, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 28
- [Food-borne infections: do we need further data collection for public health action and research].
- Authors: Desenclos JC, Vaillant V, De Valk H
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Foodborne Illness Outbreaks at Retail Establishments - National Environmental Assessment Reporting System, 16 State and Local Health Departments, 2014-2016.
- Authors: Lipcsei LE, Brown LG, Coleman EW, Kramer A, Masters M, Wittry BC, Reed K, Radke VJ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 22
- Analysis of foodborne outbreak data reported internationally for source attribution.
- Authors: Greig JD, Ravel A
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 31