A Diurnal Rhythm in Brown Adipose Tissue Causes Rapid Clearance and Combustion of Plasma Lipids at Wakening.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Authorsvan den Berg, Rosa
Tambyrajah, Lauren L
Mol, Isabel M
Puig, Laura Sardón
de Ruiter, Evelien M
van der Sluis, Ronald J
Meijer, Onno C
Willems van Dijk, Ko
van Kerkhof, Linda W M
Meijer, Johanna H
Coomans, Claudia P
van Heemst, Diana
Biermasz, Nienke R
Rensen, Patrick C N
MetadataShow full item record
TitleA Diurnal Rhythm in Brown Adipose Tissue Causes Rapid Clearance and Combustion of Plasma Lipids at Wakening.
Published inCell Rep 2018; 22(13):3521-33
PubliekssamenvattingMany favorable metabolic effects have been attributed to thermogenic activity of brown adipose tissue (BAT). Yet, time of day has rarely been considered in this field of research. Here, we show that a diurnal rhythm in BAT activity regulates plasma lipid metabolism. We observed a high-amplitude rhythm in fatty acid uptake by BAT that synchronized with the light/dark cycle. Highest uptake was found at the onset of the active period, which coincided with high lipoprotein lipase expression and low angiopoietin-like 4 expression by BAT. Diurnal rhythmicity in BAT activity determined the rate at which lipids were cleared from the circulation, thereby imposing the daily rhythm in plasma lipid concentrations. In mice as well as humans, postprandial lipid excursions were nearly absent at waking. We anticipate that diurnal BAT activity is an important factor to consider when studying the therapeutic potential of promoting BAT activity.
- Role of Brown Fat in Lipoprotein Metabolism and Atherosclerosis.
- Authors: Hoeke G, Kooijman S, Boon MR, Rensen PC, Berbée JF
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 8
- Prolonged daily light exposure increases body fat mass through attenuation of brown adipose tissue activity.
- Authors: Kooijman S, van den Berg R, Ramkisoensing A, Boon MR, Kuipers EN, Loef M, Zonneveld TC, Lucassen EA, Sips HC, Chatzispyrou IA, Houtkooper RH, Meijer JH, Coomans CP, Biermasz NR, Rensen PC
- Issue date: 2015 May 26
- Brown adipose tissue and lipid metabolism.
- Authors: Heeren J, Scheja L
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Atorvastatin accelerates clearance of lipoprotein remnants generated by activated brown fat to further reduce hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis.
- Authors: Hoeke G, Wang Y, van Dam AD, Mol IM, Gart E, Klop HG, van den Berg SM, Pieterman EH, Princen HMG, Groen AK, Rensen PCN, Berbée JFP, Boon MR
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Metformin lowers plasma triglycerides by promoting VLDL-triglyceride clearance by brown adipose tissue in mice.
- Authors: Geerling JJ, Boon MR, van der Zon GC, van den Berg SA, van den Hoek AM, Lombès M, Princen HM, Havekes LM, Rensen PC, Guigas B
- Issue date: 2014 Mar