Impact of infectious diseases on population health using incidence-based disability-adjusted life years (DALYs): results from the Burden of Communicable Diseases in Europe study, European Union and European Economic Area countries, 2009 to 2013.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Mangen, Marie-Josee J
McDonald, Scott A
van Lier, Alies
Haagsma, Juanita A
Havelaar, Arie H
Kretzschmar, Mirjam E
On Behalf Of The BCoDE Consortium
MetadataShow full item record
TitleImpact of infectious diseases on population health using incidence-based disability-adjusted life years (DALYs): results from the Burden of Communicable Diseases in Europe study, European Union and European Economic Area countries, 2009 to 2013.
Published inEuro Surveill 2018; 23(16): advance online publication (ahead of print)
PubliekssamenvattingBackground and aimsThe Burden of Communicable Diseases in Europe (BCoDE) study aimed to calculate disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 31 selected diseases in the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA). Methods: DALYs were estimated using an incidence-based and pathogen-based approach. Incidence was estimated through assessment of data availability and quality, and a correction was applied for under-estimation. Calculation of DALYs was performed with the BCoDE software toolkit without applying time discounting and age-weighting. Results: We estimated that one in 14 inhabitants experienced an infectious disease episode for a total burden of 1.38 million DALYs (95% uncertainty interval (UI): 1.25-1.5) between 2009 and 2013; 76% of which was related to the acute phase of the infection and its short-term complications. Influenza had the highest burden (30% of the total burden), followed by tuberculosis, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection/AIDS and invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). Men had the highest burden measured in DALYs (60% of the total), adults 65 years of age and over had 24% and children less than 5 years of age had 11%. Age group-specific burden showed that infants (less than 1 year of age) and elderly people (80 years of age and over) experienced the highest burden. Conclusions: These results provide baseline estimates for evaluating infectious disease prevention and control strategies. The study promotes an evidence-based approach to describing population health and assessing surveillance data availability and quality, and provides information for the planning and prioritisation of limited resources in infectious disease prevention and control.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Archived with thanks to Euro surveillance : bulletin Europeen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin
- A Software Tool for Estimation of Burden of Infectious Diseases in Europe Using Incidence-Based Disability Adjusted Life Years.
- Authors: Colzani E, Cassini A, Lewandowski D, Mangen MJ, Plass D, McDonald SA, van Lier A, Haagsma JA, Maringhini G, Pini A, Kramarz P, Kretzschmar ME
- Issue date: 2017
- Burden of Six Healthcare-Associated Infections on European Population Health: Estimating Incidence-Based Disability-Adjusted Life Years through a Population Prevalence-Based Modelling Study.
- Authors: Cassini A, Plachouras D, Eckmanns T, Abu Sin M, Blank HP, Ducomble T, Haller S, Harder T, Klingeberg A, Sixtensson M, Velasco E, Weiß B, Kramarz P, Monnet DL, Kretzschmar ME, Suetens C
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Application of a new methodology and R package reveals a high burden of healthcare-associated infections (HAI) in Germany compared to the average in the European Union/European Economic Area, 2011 to 2012.
- Authors: Zacher B, Haller S, Willrich N, Walter J, Abu Sin M, Cassini A, Plachouras D, Suetens C, Behnke M, Gastmeier P, Wieler LH, Eckmanns T
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- National disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 257 diseases and injuries in Ethiopia, 1990-2015: findings from the global burden of disease study 2015.
- Authors: Misganaw A, Melaku YA, Tessema GA, Deribew A, Deribe K, Abera SF, Dessalegn M, Lakew Y, Bekele T, Haregu TN, Amare AT, Gedefaw M, Mohammed M, Yirsaw BD, Damtew SA, Achoki T, Blore J, Krohn KJ, Assefa Y, Kifle M, Naghavi M
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 21
- Impact of measles national vaccination coverage on burden of measles across 29 Member States of the European Union and European Economic Area, 2006-2011.
- Authors: Colzani E, McDonald SA, Carrillo-Santisteve P, Busana MC, Lopalco P, Cassini A
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1