How ownership rights over microorganisms affect infectious disease control and innovation: A root-cause analysis of barriers to data sharing as experienced by key stakeholders.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsRibeiro, Carolina Dos S
van Roode, Martine Y
Haringhuizen, George B
Koopmans, Marion P
van de Burgwal, Linda H M
MetadataShow full item record
TitleHow ownership rights over microorganisms affect infectious disease control and innovation: A root-cause analysis of barriers to data sharing as experienced by key stakeholders.
Published inPlos One 2018; 13(5);e0195885
PubliekssamenvattingGenetic information of pathogens is an essential input for infectious disease control, public health and for research. Efficiency in preventing and responding to global outbreaks relies on timely access to such information. Still, ownership barriers stand in the way of timely sharing of genetic data from pathogens, frustrating efficient public health responses and ultimately the potential use of such resources in innovations. Under a One Health approach, stakeholders, their interests and ownership issues are manifold and need to be investigated. We interviewed key actors from governmental and non-governmental bodies to identify overlapping and conflicting interests, and the overall challenges for sharing pathogen data, to provide essential inputs to the further development of political and practical strategies for improved data sharing practices.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Barriers to innovation in human rabies prophylaxis and treatment: A causal analysis of insights from key opinion leaders and literature.
- Authors: van de Burgwal LHM, Neevel AMG, Pittens CACM, Osterhaus ADME, Rupprecht CE, Claassen E
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- "You cannot collect data using your own resources and put It on open access": Perspectives from Africa about public health data-sharing.
- Authors: Anane-Sarpong E, Wangmo T, Ward CL, Sankoh O, Tanner M, Elger BS
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Sharing public health data and information across borders: lessons from Southeast Asia.
- Authors: Liverani M, Teng S, Le MS, Coker R
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 29
- Overview of a multi-stakeholder dialogue around Shared Services for Health: the Digital Health Opportunity in Bangladesh.
- Authors: Ashraf S, Moore C, Gupta V, Chowdhury A, Azad AK, Singh N, Hagan D, Labrique AB
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 9
- The project data sphere initiative: accelerating cancer research by sharing data.
- Authors: Green AK, Reeder-Hayes KE, Corty RW, Basch E, Milowsky MI, Dusetzina SB, Bennett AV, Wood WA
- Issue date: 2015 May