Critical knowledge gaps and research needs related to the environmental dimensions of antibiotic resistance.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsLarsson, D G Joakim
Brandt, Kristian Koefoed
de Roda Husman, Ana Maria
Gaze, William H
Manaia, Celia M
Nielsen, Kaare Magne
van Hengel, Arjon J
Verner-Jeffreys, David W
Virta, Marko P J
Wellington, Elizabeth M
MetadataShow full item record
TitleCritical knowledge gaps and research needs related to the environmental dimensions of antibiotic resistance.
Published inEnviron Int 2018; 117:132-8
PubliekssamenvattingThere is growing understanding that the environment plays an important role both in the transmission of antibiotic resistant pathogens and in their evolution. Accordingly, researchers and stakeholders world-wide seek to further explore the mechanisms and drivers involved, quantify risks and identify suitable interventions. There is a clear value in establishing research needs and coordinating efforts within and across nations in order to best tackle this global challenge. At an international workshop in late September 2017, scientists from 14 countries with expertise on the environmental dimensions of antibiotic resistance gathered to define critical knowledge gaps. Four key areas were identified where research is urgently needed: 1) the relative contributions of different sources of antibiotics and antibiotic resistant bacteria into the environment; 2) the role of the environment, and particularly anthropogenic inputs, in the evolution of resistance; 3) the overall human and animal health impacts caused by exposure to environmental resistant bacteria; and 4) the efficacy and feasibility of different technological, social, economic and behavioral interventions to mitigate environmental antibiotic resistance.1.
- ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANT BACTERIA IN WILDLIFE: PERSPECTIVES ON TRENDS, ACQUISITION AND DISSEMINATION, DATA GAPS, AND FUTURE DIRECTIONS.
- Authors: Ramey AM, Ahlstrom CA
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Tackling antibiotic resistance: the environmental framework.
- Authors: Berendonk TU, Manaia CM, Merlin C, Fatta-Kassinos D, Cytryn E, Walsh F, Bürgmann H, Sørum H, Norström M, Pons MN, Kreuzinger N, Huovinen P, Stefani S, Schwartz T, Kisand V, Baquero F, Martinez JL
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Differential Drivers of Antimicrobial Resistance across the World.
- Authors: Vikesland P, Garner E, Gupta S, Kang S, Maile-Moskowitz A, Zhu N
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 16
- Lessons from the Environmental Antibiotic Resistome.
- Authors: Surette MD, Wright GD
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 8
- The scourge of antibiotic resistance: the important role of the environment.
- Authors: Finley RL, Collignon P, Larsson DG, McEwen SA, Li XZ, Gaze WH, Reid-Smith R, Timinouni M, Graham DW, Topp E
- Issue date: 2013 Sep