The urgency for optimization and harmonization of thyroid hormone analyses and their interpretation in developmental and reproductive toxicology studies.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Piersma, Aldert H
Makris, Susan L
MetadataShow full item record
TitleThe urgency for optimization and harmonization of thyroid hormone analyses and their interpretation in developmental and reproductive toxicology studies.
Published inReprod Toxicol 2018; advance online publication (ahead of print)
PubliekssamenvattingIn recent years several OECD test guidelines have been updated and some will be updated shortly with the requirement to measure thyroid hormone levels in the blood of mammalian laboratory species. There is, however, an imperative need for clarification and guidance regarding the collection, assessment, and interpretation of thyroid hormone data for regulatory toxicology and risk assessment. Clarification and guidance is needed for 1) timing and methods of blood collection, 2) standardization and validation of the analytical methods, 3) triggers for additional measurements, 4) the need for T4 measurements in postnatal day (PND) 4 pups, and 5) the interpretation of changes in thyroid hormone levels regarding adversity. Discussions on these topics have already been initiated, and involve expert scientists from a number of international multisector organizations. This paper provides an overview of existing issues, current activities and recommendations for moving forward.
- A critical evaluation of thyroid hormone measurements in OECD test guideline studies: Is there any added value?
- Authors: Beekhuijzen M, Rijk JCW, Meijer M, de Raaf MA, Pelgrom S
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Update of OECD DART guidelines with endocrine disruptor relevant endpoints: Practical considerations.
- Authors: Beekhuijzen M, van Otterdijk F, Wieland W, van Tuyl M, Rijcken RP, Peter B, Emmen H
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Report from the BfR expert hearing on practicability of hormonal measurements: recommendations for experimental design of toxicological studies with integrated hormonal end points.
- Authors: Kucheryavenko O, Lurman G, Lehmann A, Braz J, Niemann L, Chahoud I, Mantovani A, Håkansson H, Schneider S, Strauss V, Coder PS, Freyberger A, O'Connor JC, Rauch M, Renko K, Solano MLM, Andersson N, Blanck O, Ritz V, Solecki R
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Uterotrophic assay, Hershberger assay, and subacute oral toxicity study of 4,4'-butylidenebis(2-tert-butyl-5-methylphenol) and 3-(dibutylamino)phenol, based on the OECD draft protocols.
- Authors: Yamasaki K, Miyata K, Shiraishi K, Muroi T, Higashihara N, Oshima H, Minobe Y
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Developing Test Guidelines on invertebrate development and reproduction for the assessment of chemicals, including potential endocrine active substances- the OECD perspective.
- Authors: Gourmelon A, Ahtiainen J, Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.
- Issue date: 2007 Feb