Limited influence of hospital wastewater on the microbiome and resistome of wastewater in a community sewerage system.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bayjanov, Jumamurat R
Willems, Rob J L
Bonten, Marc J M
van Schaik, Willem
MetadataShow full item record
TitleLimited influence of hospital wastewater on the microbiome and resistome of wastewater in a community sewerage system.
Published inFEMS Microbiol Ecol 2018; 94(7)
PubliekssamenvattingEffluents from wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs) have been proposed to act as point sources of antibiotic-resistant bacteria (ARB) and antimicrobial resistance genes (ARGs) in the environment. Hospital sewage may contribute to the spread of ARB and ARGs as it contains the feces and urine of hospitalized patients, who are more frequently colonized with multi-drug resistant bacteria than the general population. However, whether hospital sewage noticeably contributes to the quantity and diversity of ARGs in the general sewerage system has not yet been determined.Here, we employed culture-independent techniques, namely 16S rRNA gene sequencing and nanolitre-scale quantitative PCRs, to assess the role of hospital effluent as a point source of ARGs in the sewerage system, through comparing microbiota composition and levels of ARGs in hospital sewage with WWTP influent with and without hospital sewage.Compared to other sites, hospital sewage was richest in human-associated bacteria and contained the highest relative levels of ARGs. Yet, the relative abundance of ARGs was comparable in the influent of WWTPs with and without hospital sewage, suggesting that hospitals do not contribute importantly to the quantity and diversity of ARGs in the investigated sewerage system.
- Prevalence and proliferation of antibiotic resistance genes in two municipal wastewater treatment plants.
- Authors: Mao D, Yu S, Rysz M, Luo Y, Yang F, Li F, Hou J, Mu Q, Alvarez PJ
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 15
- Prevalence and transmission of antibiotic resistance and microbiota between humans and water environments.
- Authors: Zhou ZC, Feng WQ, Han Y, Zheng J, Chen T, Wei YY, Gillings M, Zhu YG, Chen H
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- The structure and diversity of human, animal and environmental resistomes.
- Authors: Pal C, Bengtsson-Palme J, Kristiansson E, Larsson DG
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 7
- Fate of antibiotic resistant cultivable heterotrophic bacteria and antibiotic resistance genes in wastewater treatment processes.
- Authors: Zhang S, Han B, Gu J, Wang C, Wang P, Ma Y, Cao J, He Z
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Host range of antibiotic resistance genes in wastewater treatment plant influent and effluent.
- Authors: Hultman J, Tamminen M, Pärnänen K, Cairns J, Karkman A, Virta M
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 1