Circulating Metabolites Associated with Alcohol Intake in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition Cohort.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Authorsvan Roekel, Eline H
Schmidt, Julie A
Peeters, Petra H
Quirós, J Ramón
Huerta, José M
Tsilidis, Konstantinos K
Rostgaard-Hansen, Agnetha Linn
Weijenberg, Matty P
Gunter, Marc J
Travis, Ruth C
MetadataShow full item record
TitleCirculating Metabolites Associated with Alcohol Intake in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition Cohort.
Published inNutrients 2018; 10(5):e654
PubliekssamenvattingIdentifying the metabolites associated with alcohol consumption may provide insights into the metabolic pathways through which alcohol may affect human health. We studied associations of alcohol consumption with circulating concentrations of 123 metabolites among 2974 healthy participants from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study. Alcohol consumption at recruitment was self-reported through dietary questionnaires. Metabolite concentrations were measured by tandem mass spectrometry (BIOCRATES AbsoluteIDQTM p180 kit). Data were randomly divided into discovery (2/3) and replication (1/3) sets. Multivariable linear regression models were used to evaluate confounder-adjusted associations of alcohol consumption with metabolite concentrations. Metabolites significantly related to alcohol intake in the discovery set (FDR q-value < 0.05) were further tested in the replication set (Bonferroni-corrected p-value < 0.05). Of the 72 metabolites significantly related to alcohol intake in the discovery set, 34 were also significant in the replication analysis, including three acylcarnitines, the amino acid citrulline, four lysophosphatidylcholines, 13 diacylphosphatidylcholines, seven acyl-alkylphosphatidylcholines, and six sphingomyelins. Our results confirmed earlier findings that alcohol consumption was associated with several lipid metabolites, and possibly also with specific acylcarnitines and amino acids. This provides further leads for future research studies aiming at elucidating the mechanisms underlying the effects of alcohol in relation to morbid conditions.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors Associated With Blood Metabolite Concentrations and Their Alterations During a 4-Year Period in a Population-Based Cohort.
- Authors: Lacruz ME, Kluttig A, Tiller D, Medenwald D, Giegling I, Rujescu D, Prehn C, Adamski J, Frantz S, Greiser KH, Emeny RT, Kastenmüller G, Haerting J
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Pre-diagnostic metabolite concentrations and prostate cancer risk in 1077 cases and 1077 matched controls in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.
- Authors: Schmidt JA, Fensom GK, Rinaldi S, Scalbert A, Appleby PN, Achaintre D, Gicquiau A, Gunter MJ, Ferrari P, Kaaks R, Kühn T, Floegel A, Boeing H, Trichopoulou A, Lagiou P, Anifantis E, Agnoli C, Palli D, Trevisan M, Tumino R, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Agudo A, Larrañaga N, Redondo-Sánchez D, Barricarte A, Huerta JM, Quirós JR, Wareham N, Khaw KT, Perez-Cornago A, Johansson M, Cross AJ, Tsilidis KK, Riboli E, Key TJ, Travis RC
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 5
- Metabolomic patterns and alcohol consumption in African Americans in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.
- Authors: Zheng Y, Yu B, Alexander D, Steffen LM, Nettleton JA, Boerwinkle E
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Metabolomics in nutritional epidemiology: identifying metabolites associated with diet and quantifying their potential to uncover diet-disease relations in populations.
- Authors: Guertin KA, Moore SC, Sampson JN, Huang WY, Xiao Q, Stolzenberg-Solomon RZ, Sinha R, Cross AJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Metabolic profiling of alcohol consumption in 9778 young adults.
- Authors: Würtz P, Cook S, Wang Q, Tiainen M, Tynkkynen T, Kangas AJ, Soininen P, Laitinen J, Viikari J, Kähönen M, Lehtimäki T, Perola M, Blankenberg S, Zeller T, Männistö S, Salomaa V, Järvelin MR, Raitakari OT, Ala-Korpela M, Leon DA
- Issue date: 2016 Oct