Perceptions and Reasons Regarding E-Cigarette Use among Users and Non-Users: A Narrative Literature Review.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
TitlePerceptions and Reasons Regarding E-Cigarette Use among Users and Non-Users: A Narrative Literature Review.
Published inInt J Environ Res Public Health 2018; 15(6):e1190
PubliekssamenvattingThis paper aims to provide an in-depth understanding of the attractiveness of e-cigarettes for several different groups. For this purpose, perceptions of and reasons for e-cigarette use were systematically reviewed as reported by e-cigarette users, cigarette smokers, dual users, and non-users, among both adults and youth. MEDLINE® and Scopus were used to search for relevant articles, and references of included studies were also investigated. Two reviewers screened all titles and abstracts independently, blinded to authors and journal titles (Cohen’s Kappa = 0.83), resulting in 72 eligible articles. Risk perceptions, perceived benefits, and reasons for e-cigarette use were categorized in themes and sub-themes. Risk perceptions included harmfulness in general, and specific health risks. Perceived benefits included improved taste and smell, and safety for bystanders. Reasons for use included (health) benefits, curiosity, smoking cessation, and friends using e-cigarettes. The findings highlight that there is a variety of perceptions and reasons mentioned by adult and youth e-cigarette users, cigarette smokers, dual users, and non-users. As such, this overview provides valuable information for scientists, public health professionals, behavior change experts, and regulators to improve future research, risk communication, and possibilities to effectively regulate e-cigarettes.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Archived with thanks to International journal of environmental research and public health
- Impact of non-menthol flavours in e-cigarettes on perceptions and use: an updated systematic review.
- Authors: Meernik C, Baker HM, Kowitt SD, Ranney LM, Goldstein AO
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 16
- Examining the Association Between Physical Activity, Sedentary Behavior and Sport Participation With E-Cigarette Use and Smoking Status in a Large Sample of Canadian Youth.
- Authors: Milicic S, Piérard E, DeCicca P, Leatherdale ST
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 18
- E-Cigarettes Use Behavior and Experience of Adults: Qualitative Research Findings to Inform E-Cigarette Use Measure Development.
- Authors: Kim H, Davis AH, Dohack JL, Clark PI
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Differences in perceptions of e-cigarettes across daily and non-daily users.
- Authors: Mayorga NA, Garey L, Zvolensky MJ
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- The Relation between Frequency of E-Cigarette Use and Frequency and Intensity of Cigarette Smoking among South Korean Adolescents.
- Authors: Lee JA, Lee S, Cho HJ
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 14