Pre-diagnostic circulating insulin-like growth factor-I and bladder cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Travis, Ruth C
Appleby, Paul N
Gram, Inger T
Kiemeney, Lambertus A
Manciniveri, Francesca Romana
Peeters, Petra H
Cross, Amanda J
Key, Timothy J
MetadataShow full item record
TitlePre-diagnostic circulating insulin-like growth factor-I and bladder cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.
Published inInt J Cancer 2018; advance online publication (ahead of print)
PubliekssamenvattingPrevious in vitro and case-control studies have found an association between the insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-axis and bladder cancer risk. Circulating concentrations of IGF-I have also been found to be associated with an increased risk of several cancer types; however, the relationship between pre-diagnostic circulating IGF-I concentrations and bladder cancer has never been studied prospectively. We investigated the association of pre-diagnostic plasma concentrations of IGF-I with risk of overall bladder cancer and urothelial cell carcinoma (UCC) in a case-control study nested within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohort. A total of 843 men and women diagnosed with bladder cancer between 1992 and 2005 were matched with 843 controls by recruitment centre, sex, age at recruitment, date of blood collection, duration of follow-up, time of day and fasting status at blood collection using an incidence density sampling protocol. Odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were calculated using conditional logistic regression with adjustment for smoking status. No association was found between pre-diagnostic circulating IGF-I concentration and overall bladder cancer risk (adjusted OR for highest versus lowest fourth: 0.91, 95% CI: 0.66-1.24, Ptrend =0.40) or UCC (n of cases=776; 0.91, 0.65-1.26, Ptrend =0.40). There was no significant evidence of heterogeneity in the association of IGF-I with bladder cancer risk by tumour aggressiveness, sex, smoking status, or by time between blood collection and diagnosis (Pheterogeneity >0.05 for all). This first prospective study indicates no evidence of an association between plasma IGF-I concentrations and bladder cancer risk. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Prediagnostic circulating concentrations of plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of lymphoma in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.
- Authors: Perez-Cornago A, Appleby PN, Tipper S, Key TJ, Allen NE, Nieters A, Vermeulen R, Roulland S, Casabonne D, Kaaks R, Fortner RT, Boeing H, Trichopoulou A, La Vecchia C, Klinaki E, Hansen L, Tjønneland A, Bonnet F, Fagherazzi G, Boutron-Ruault MC, Pala V, Masala G, Sacerdote C, Peeters PH, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Weiderpass E, Dorronsoro M, Quirós JR, Barricarte A, Gavrila D, Agudo A, Borgquist S, Rosendahl AH, Melin B, Wareham N, Khaw KT, Gunter M, Riboli E, Vineis P, Travis RC
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1
- Circulating insulin-like growth factor I in relation to melanoma risk in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition.
- Authors: Bradbury KE, Appleby PN, Tipper SJ, Travis RC, Allen NE, Kvaskoff M, Overvad K, Tjønneland A, Halkjaer J, Cervenka I, Mahamat-Saleh Y, Bonnet F, Kaaks R, Fortner RT, Boeing H, Trichopoulou A, La Vecchia C, Stratigos AJ, Palli D, Grioni S, Matullo G, Panico S, Tumino R, Peeters PH, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Ghiasvand R, Veierød MB, Weiderpass E, Bonet C, Molina E, Huerta JM, Larrañaga N, Barricarte A, Merino S, Isaksson K, Stocks T, Ljuslinder I, Hemmingsson O, Wareham N, Khaw KT, Gunter MJ, Rinaldi S, Tsilidis KK, Aune D, Riboli E, Key TJ
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 1
- Plasma carotenoids and vitamin C concentrations and risk of urothelial cell carcinoma in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.
- Authors: Ros MM, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Kampman E, Aben KK, Büchner FL, Jansen EH, van Gils CH, Egevad L, Overvad K, Tjønneland A, Roswall N, Boutron-Ruault MC, Kvaskoff M, Perquier F, Kaaks R, Chang-Claude J, Weikert S, Boeing H, Trichopoulou A, Lagiou P, Dilis V, Palli D, Pala V, Sacerdote C, Tumino R, Panico S, Peeters PH, Gram IT, Skeie G, Huerta JM, Barricarte A, Quirós JR, Sánchez MJ, Buckland G, Larrañaga N, Ehrnström R, Wallström P, Ljungberg B, Hallmans G, Key TJ, Allen NE, Khaw KT, Wareham N, Brennan P, Riboli E, Kiemeney LA
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Insulin-like growth factor-i and risk of differentiated thyroid carcinoma in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition.
- Authors: Schmidt JA, Allen NE, Almquist M, Franceschi S, Rinaldi S, Tipper SJ, Tsilidis KK, Weiderpass E, Overvad K, Tjønneland A, Boutron-Ruault MC, Dossus L, Mesrine S, Kaaks R, Lukanova A, Boeing H, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Trichopoulou A, Palli D, Krogh V, Panico S, Tumino R, Zanetti R, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Peeters PH, Lund E, Menéndez V, Agudo A, Sánchez MJ, Chirlaque MD, Ardanaz E, Larrañaga N, Hennings J, Sandström M, Khaw KT, Wareham N, Romieu I, Gunter MJ, Riboli E, Key TJ, Travis RC
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- One-carbon metabolism biomarkers and risk of urothelial cell carcinoma in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition.
- Authors: Vrieling A, Bueno-De-Mesquita HB, Ros MM, Kampman E, Aben KK, Büchner FL, Jansen EH, Roswall N, Tjønneland A, Boutron-Ruault MC, Cadeau C, Chang-Claude J, Kaaks R, Weikert S, Boeing H, Trichopoulou A, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Sieri S, Palli D, Panico S, Peeters PH, Weiderpass E, Skeie G, Jakszyn P, Chirlaque MD, Ardanaz E, Sánchez MJ, Ehrnström R, Malm J, Ljungberg B, Khaw KT, Wareham NJ, Brennan P, Johansson M, Riboli E, Kiemeney LA
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1