Dietary folate intake and pancreatic cancer risk: Results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsPark, Jin Young
Bueno-de-Mesquita, H Bas
de Batlle, Jordi
Mancini, Francesca Romana
La Vecchia, Carlo
Peeters, Petra H
Duell, Eric J
Bradbury, Kathryn E
MetadataShow full item record
TitleDietary folate intake and pancreatic cancer risk: Results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.
Published inInt J Cancer 2019; 144(7):1511-21
PubliekssamenvattingPancreatic cancer (PC) has an exceptionally low survival rate and primary prevention strategies are limited. Folate plays an important role in one-carbon metabolism and has been associated with the risk of several cancers, but not consistently with PC risk. We aimed to investigate the association between dietary folate intake and PC risk, using the standardised folate database across 10 European countries. A total of 477,206 participants were followed up for 11 years, during which 865 incident primary PC cases were recorded. Folate intake was energy-adjusted using the residual method. Hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were estimated using Cox proportional hazards models. In multivariable analyses stratified by age, sex, study centre and adjusted for energy intake, smoking status, BMI, educational level, diabetes status, supplement use and dietary fibre intake, we found no significant association between folate intake and PC risk: the HR of PC risk for those in the highest quartile of folate intake (≥353 μg/d) compared with the lowest (<241 μg/d) was 0.81 (95% CI: 0.51, 1.31; Ptrend = 0.38). In current smokers, a positive trend was observed in PC risk across folate quartiles (HR=4.42 (95% CI: 1.05, 18.62) for ≥353 μg/d vs. <241 μg/d, Ptrend = 0.01). Nonetheless, there was no significant interaction between smoking and dietary folate intake (Pinteraction = 0.99). We found no association between dietary folate intake and PC risk in this large European study. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Folate intake and pancreatic cancer incidence: a prospective study of Swedish women and men.
- Authors: Larsson SC, Håkansson N, Giovannucci E, Wolk A
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 15
- Comparison of standardised dietary folate intake across ten countries participating in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.
- Authors: Park JY, Nicolas G, Freisling H, Biessy C, Scalbert A, Romieu I, Chajès V, Chuang SC, Ericson U, Wallström P, Ros MM, Peeters PH, Mattiello A, Palli D, María Huerta J, Amiano P, Halkjær J, Dahm CC, Trichopoulou A, Orfanos P, Teucher B, Feller S, Skeie G, Engeset D, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F, Crowe F, Khaw KT, Vineis P, Slimani N
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Lifetime and baseline alcohol intakes and risk of pancreatic cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study.
- Authors: Naudin S, Li K, Jaouen T, Assi N, Kyrø C, Tjønneland A, Overvad K, Boutron-Ruault MC, Rebours V, Védié AL, Boeing H, Kaaks R, Katzke V, Bamia C, Naska A, Trichopoulou A, Berrino F, Tagliabue G, Palli D, Panico S, Tumino R, Sacerdote C, Peeters PH, Bueno-de-Mesquita HBA, Weiderpass E, Gram IT, Skeie G, Chirlaque MD, Rodríguez-Barranco M, Barricarte A, Quirós JR, Dorronsoro M, Johansson I, Sund M, Sternby H, Bradbury KE, Wareham N, Riboli E, Gunter M, Brennan P, Duell EJ, Ferrari P
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 15
- Dietary fibre intake and risks of cancers of the colon and rectum in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC).
- Authors: Murphy N, Norat T, Ferrari P, Jenab M, Bueno-de-Mesquita B, Skeie G, Dahm CC, Overvad K, Olsen A, Tjønneland A, Clavel-Chapelon F, Boutron-Ruault MC, Racine A, Kaaks R, Teucher B, Boeing H, Bergmann MM, Trichopoulou A, Trichopoulos D, Lagiou P, Palli D, Pala V, Panico S, Tumino R, Vineis P, Siersema P, van Duijnhoven F, Peeters PH, Hjartaker A, Engeset D, González CA, Sánchez MJ, Dorronsoro M, Navarro C, Ardanaz E, Quirós JR, Sonestedt E, Ericson U, Nilsson L, Palmqvist R, Khaw KT, Wareham N, Key TJ, Crowe FL, Fedirko V, Wark PA, Chuang SC, Riboli E
- Issue date: 2012
- Folate intake, post-folic acid grain fortification, and pancreatic cancer risk in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial.
- Authors: Oaks BM, Dodd KW, Meinhold CL, Jiao L, Church TR, Stolzenberg-Solomon RZ
- Issue date: 2010 Feb