Oral bioaccessibility of silver nanoparticles and ions in natural soils: Importance of soil properties.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
TitleOral bioaccessibility of silver nanoparticles and ions in natural soils: Importance of soil properties.
Published inEnviron Pollut 2018; 243:364-373
PubliekssamenvattingThe abundance of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) in consumer products has led to their environmental release and therefore to concern about their impact on human health. The ingestion of AgNP-contaminated soil from urban sites is an important exposure pathway, especially for children. Given the limited information on oral bioaccessibility of soil Ag, we used a physiologically based extraction test (PBET) to evaluate the bioaccessibility of AgNPs and AgNO3 from soil digestion. The AgNPs underwent several biochemical transformations, including their simultaneous dissolution and agglomeration in gastric fluid followed by the disintegration in the intestinal fluid of the agglomerates into NPs containing silver and chlorine. Therefore, Ag-containing soil exposed the intestine to nanoparticulate Ag in forms that were structurally different from the original forms. The bioaccessibility of AgNPs (0.5 ± 0.05%-10.9 ± 0.7%) was significantly lower than that of AgNO3 (4.7 ± 0.6%-14.4 ± 0.1%), as a result of the lower adsorption of nanoparticles to soil residues during the digestive process. For the soils tested, the bioaccessibility of AgNPs increased with decreasing clay contents and lower pH. By identifying the soil properties that control AgNP bioaccessibility, a more efficient and accurate screening can be performed of soil types that pose the greatest health risk associated with AgNP exposure.
- Greater Bioaccessibility of Silver Nanoparticles in Earthworm than in Soils.
- Authors: Yan H, Yin S, Dang F, Li M, Zhou D, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2022 Sep
- Testing single extraction methods and in vitro tests to assess the geochemical reactivity and human bioaccessibility of silver in urban soils amended with silver nanoparticles.
- Authors: Cruz N, Rodrigues SM, Tavares D, Monteiro RJ, Carvalho L, Trindade T, Duarte AC, Pereira E, Römkens PF
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Retention of silver nano-particles and silver ions in calcareous soils: Influence of soil properties.
- Authors: Rahmatpour S, Shirvani M, Mosaddeghi MR, Bazarganipour M
- Issue date: 2017 May 15
- Sorption and dissolution of bare and coated silver nanoparticles in soil suspensions--Influence of soil and particle characteristics.
- Authors: Hedberg J, Oromieh AG, Kleja DB, Wallinder IO
- Issue date: 2015
- The toxicity of silver to soil organisms exposed to silver nanoparticles and silver nitrate in biosolids-amended field soil.
- Authors: Jesmer AH, Velicogna JR, Schwertfeger DM, Scroggins RP, Princz JI
- Issue date: 2017 Oct