Use of quantum-chemical descriptors to analyse reaction rate constants between organic chemicals and superoxide/hydroperoxyl (O2•-/HO2•).
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
TitleUse of quantum-chemical descriptors to analyse reaction rate constants between organic chemicals and superoxide/hydroperoxyl (O2•-/HO2•).
Published inFree Radic Res 2018; advance online publication (ahead of print)
PubliekssamenvattingThe reaction between superoxide (O2•-) and organic chemicals is of interest in many scientific disciplines including biology and synthetic chemistry, as well as for the evaluation of chemical fate in the environment. Due to limited data and lack of congeneric modelling, the involvement of superoxide in many complex processes cannot be adequately evaluated. In this study, we developed new quantitative structure-property relationship (QSPR) models for the prediction of the aqueous-phase rate constant for the reaction between superoxide and a wide variety of organic chemicals reacting via one-electron oxidation, reduction and hydrogen-transfer. It is shown that the relative importance of these pathways is related to frontier molecular orbital (FMO) interaction and to pH. The class-specific QSPRs developed have good statistics (0.84 ≤ R2 ≤ 0.92). For non-congeneric chemicals it is demonstrated that the reactivity toward superoxide can be described by applying explicit descriptions for competition kinetics and speciation. Therefore, the relationships developed in this study are useful as a starting point to evaluate more complex molecules having, for example, multiple reactive functional groups, labile H bonds, or delocalised cationic charges. However, additional kinetic data and more rigorous computation are needed to evaluate such molecules.
- Estimation of gas-phase reaction rate constants of alkylnaphthalenes with chlorine, hydroxyl and nitrate radicals.
- Authors: Long X, Niu J
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Antioxidant activity of trans-resveratrol toward hydroxyl and hydroperoxyl radicals: a quantum chemical and computational kinetics study.
- Authors: Iuga C, Alvarez-Idaboy JR, Russo N
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 20
- Bond-based linear indices of the non-stochastic and stochastic edge-adjacency matrix. 1. Theory and modeling of ChemPhys properties of organic molecules.
- Authors: Marrero-Ponce Y, Martínez-Albelo ER, Casañola-Martín GM, Castillo-Garit JA, Echevería-Díaz Y, Zaldivar VR, Tygat J, Borges JE, García-Domenech R, Torrens F, Pérez-Giménez F
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Quantitative structure-property relationships for physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling of volatile organic chemicals in rats.
- Authors: Béliveau M, Tardif R, Krishnan K
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 15
- A kinetic method for HO2*/O2*- determination in advanced oxidation processes.
- Authors: Kwon BG, Lee JH
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 1