Genetic determinants of telomere length and risk of pancreatic cancer: A PANDoRA study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
van Laarhoven, Hanneke
Bueno-de-Mesquita, H Bas
Cavestro, Giulia Martina
Izbicki, Jakob R
Zambon, Carlo Federico
Key, Timothy J
Fave, Gianfranco Delle
Lawlor, Rita T
Vashist, Yogesh K
MetadataShow full item record
TitleGenetic determinants of telomere length and risk of pancreatic cancer: A PANDoRA study.
Published inInt J Cancer 2018; advance online publication (ahead of print)
PubliekssamenvattingTelomere deregulation is a hallmark of cancer. Telomere length measured in lymphocytes (LTL) has been shown to be a risk marker for several cancers. For pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) consensus is lacking whether risk is associated with long or short telomeres. Mendelian randomization approaches have shown that a score built from SNPs associated with LTL could be used as a robust risk marker. We explored this approach in a large scale study within the PANcreatic Disease ReseArch (PANDoRA) consortium. We analyzed 10 SNPs (ZNF676-rs409627, TERT-rs2736100, CTC1-rs3027234, DHX35-rs6028466, PXK-rs6772228, NAF1-rs7675998, ZNF208-rs8105767, OBFC1-rs9420907, ACYP2-rs11125529 and TERC-rs10936599) alone and combined in a LTL genetic score ("teloscore", which explains 2.2% of the telomere variability) in relation to PDAC risk in 2,374 cases and 4,326 controls. We identified several associations with PDAC risk, among which the strongest were with the TERT-rs2736100 SNP (OR = 1.54; 95%CI 1.35-1.76; p = 1.54 × 10-10 ) and a novel one with the NAF1-rs7675998 SNP (OR = 0.80; 95%CI 0.73-0.88; p = 1.87 × 10-6 , ptrend = 3.27 × 10-7 ). The association of short LTL, measured by the teloscore, with PDAC risk reached genome-wide significance (p = 2.98 × 10-9 for highest vs. lowest quintile; p = 1.82 × 10-10 as a continuous variable). In conclusion, we present a novel genome-wide candidate SNP for PDAC risk (TERT-rs2736100), a completely new signal (NAF1-rs7675998) approaching genome-wide significance and we report a strong association between the teloscore and risk of pancreatic cancer, suggesting that telomeres are a potential risk factor for pancreatic cancer.
- Association between previously identified loci affecting telomere length and coronary heart disease (CHD) in Han Chinese population.
- Authors: Ding H, Yan F, Zhou LL, Ji XH, Gu XN, Tang ZW, Chen RH
- Issue date: 2014
- Genetic Variation Associated with Longer Telomere Length Increases Risk of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.
- Authors: Ojha J, Codd V, Nelson CP, Samani NJ, Smirnov IV, Madsen NR, Hansen HM, de Smith AJ, Bracci PM, Wiencke JK, Wrensch MR, Wiemels JL, Walsh KM, ENGAGE Consortium Telomere Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Leucocyte telomere length, genetic variants at the <i>TERT</i> gene region and risk of pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Bao Y, Prescott J, Yuan C, Zhang M, Kraft P, Babic A, Morales-Oyarvide V, Qian ZR, Buring JE, Cochrane BB, Gaziano JM, Giovannucci EL, Manson JE, Ng K, Ogino S, Rohan TE, Sesso HD, Stampfer MJ, Fuchs CS, De Vivo I, Amundadottir LT, Wolpin BM
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Common genetic variants associated with telomere length confer risk for neuroblastoma and other childhood cancers.
- Authors: Walsh KM, Whitehead TP, de Smith AJ, Smirnov IV, Park M, Endicott AA, Francis SS, Codd V, ENGAGE Consortium Telomere Group., Samani NJ, Metayer C, Wiemels JL
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Do pancreatic cancer and chronic pancreatitis share the same genetic risk factors? A PANcreatic Disease ReseArch (PANDoRA) consortium investigation.
- Authors: Campa D, Pastore M, Capurso G, Hackert T, Di Leo M, Izbicki JR, Khaw KT, Gioffreda D, Kupcinskas J, Pasquali C, Macinga P, Kaaks R, Stigliano S, Peeters PH, Key TJ, Talar-Wojnarowska R, Vodicka P, Valente R, Vashist YK, Salvia R, Papaconstantinou I, Shimizu Y, Valsuani C, Zambon CF, Gazouli M, Valantiene I, Niesen W, Mohelnikova-Duchonova B, Hara K, Soucek P, Malecka-Panas E, Bueno-de-Mesquita HBA, Johnson T, Brenner H, Tavano F, Fogar P, Ito H, Sperti C, Butterbach K, Latiano A, Andriulli A, Cavestro GM, Busch ORC, Dijk F, Greenhalf W, Matsuo K, Lombardo C, Strobel O, König AK, Cuk K, Strothmann H, Katzke V, Cantore M, Mambrini A, Oliverius M, Pezzilli R, Landi S, Canzian F
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 15