Performance of the Brighton collaboration case definition for hypotonic-hyporesponsive episode (HHE) on reported collapse reactions following infant vaccinations in the Netherlands.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
TitlePerformance of the Brighton collaboration case definition for hypotonic-hyporesponsive episode (HHE) on reported collapse reactions following infant vaccinations in the Netherlands.
PubliekssamenvattingWe reviewed collapse (sudden onset of pallor, limpness and hyporesponsiveness) following the first infant (DPTP+Hib) vaccination reported to the enhanced passive surveillance system of the Netherlands in 1994-2003. All 1303 reports identified by the current RIVM (National Institute for Public Health and Environment) case definition were captured by the Brighton Collaboration (BC) case definition, with in 17 (1.3%) reports insufficient information. Over the years the proportion of the highest level of diagnostic certainty (level 1) increased due to more complete data from 70% to over 90%. We checked the BC case definition also on a sample of cases (with pallor or hyporesponsiveness) not meeting RIVM's case definition for collapse at the time. Sixty out of 200 cases were captured by BC but again rejected by RIVM. The sensitivity BC levels 2 and 3 appeared too high. We recommend a more restrict case definition by the Brighton Collaboration with certain exclusion criteria to make it more specific. Furthermore a change in the specifications for levels 2 and 3 will increase specificity and accommodate for the loss of sensitivity.
- Report of a US public health service workshop on hypotonic-hyporesponsive episode (HHE) after pertussis immunization.
- Authors: Braun MM, Terracciano G, Salive ME, Blumberg DA, Vermeer-de Bondt PE, Heijbel H, Evans G, Patriarca PA, Ellenberg SS
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- Evaluation of the Brighton Collaboration case definition of acute intussusception during active surveillance.
- Authors: Tapiainen T, Bär G, Bonhoeffer J, Heininger U
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 27
- Reactogenicity of infant whole cell pertussis combination vaccine compared with acellular pertussis vaccines with or without simultaneous pneumococcal vaccine in the Netherlands.
- Authors: David S, Vermeer-de Bondt PE, van der Maas NA
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 29
- Applicability of the Brighton Collaboration Case Definition for seizure after immunization in active and passive surveillance in Canada.
- Authors: Top KA, Constantinescu CM, Laflèche J, Bettinger JA, Scheifele DW, Vaudry W, Halperin SA, Law BJ
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 19
- The effect of age and dose number on the risk of collapse (hypotonic-hyporesponsive episode) after pertussis vaccination.
- Authors: Vermeer-de Bondt PE, van der Maas NA
- Issue date: 2008 Apr