Use of oseltamivir in Dutch nursing homes during the 2004-2005 influenza season.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSande, Marianne A B van der
Ruijs, Wilhelmina L M
Cools, Herman J M
Plas, Simone M van der
MetadataShow full item record
TitleUse of oseltamivir in Dutch nursing homes during the 2004-2005 influenza season.
PubliekssamenvattingTo assess the implementation of guidelines for using neuraminidase inhibitors in the control of influenza outbreaks in Dutch nursing homes, data were collected on prophylactic and therapeutic use of anti-viral medication, indications for use and criteria for prescribing, based on experiences during the influenza season 2004-2005 in a retrospective cross-sectional survey among Dutch nursing homes after the 2004-2005 season. Ninety/194 (49%) participating nursing homes reported an outbreak of influenza-like illness; in 57/194 (29%) influenza was laboratory confirmed. In 37/57 homes (65%) oseltamivir had been used as prophylaxis. Prophylactic use was extended to all residents and staff in 6/37 (16%) of homes, but limited in the others. In 9/37 (24%) no staff were issued prophylaxis. Among clinicians with laboratory confirmed influenza, 41/46 (89%) had used oseltamivir therapeutically. Main reasons for not prescribing oseltamivir for prophylaxis and/or therapy were lack of scientific evidence, high costs, and absent or delayed laboratory confirmation. Logistical bottlenecks in diagnosis, cost-effectiveness concerns, and lack of an evidence-base hamper full integration in policy and should be addressed.
- [Practice guideline 'Influenza prevention in nursing homes and care homes', issued by the Dutch Society of Nursing Home Specialists; division of tasks between nursing home specialist, general practitioner and company doctor].
- Authors: Cools HJ, van Essen GA, Dutch Society of Nursing Home Specialists.
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 15
- Experience with oseltamivir in the control of a nursing home influenza B outbreak.
- Authors: Parker R, Loewen N, Skowronski D
- Issue date: 2001 Mar 1
- Detection and control of influenza outbreaks in well-vaccinated nursing home populations.
- Authors: Monto AS, Rotthoff J, Teich E, Herlocher ML, Truscon R, Yen HL, Elias S, Ohmit SE
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 15
- Economic evaluation of oseltamivir phosphate for postexposure prophylaxis of influenza in long-term care facilities.
- Authors: Risebrough NA, Bowles SK, Simor AE, McGeer A, Oh PI
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Use of oseltamivir during an outbreak of influenza A in a long-term care facility in Taiwan.
- Authors: Chang YM, Li WC, Huang CT, Huang CG, Tsao KC, Cheng YH, Chiang SL, Yang SY, Chen CH, Huang YC
- Issue date: 2008 Jan