Ethanol Intake and Risk of Lung Cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Boshuizen, Hendriek C
Jensen, Majken K
Bergmann, Manuela M
Allen, Naomi E
Key, Timothy J
Bingham, Sheila A
Peeters, Petra H M
Bueno-de-Mesquita, H Bas
Büchner, Frederike L
Gram, Inger Torhild
Dorronsoro Iraeta, Miren
Pérez, Maria-José Sánchez
Quirós, José Ramón
MetadataShow full item record
TitleEthanol Intake and Risk of Lung Cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).
PubliekssamenvattingWithin the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC), the authors examined the association of ethanol intake at recruitment (1,119 cases) and mean lifelong ethanol intake (887 cases) with lung cancer. Information on baseline and past alcohol consumption, lifetime tobacco smoking, diet, and the anthropometric characteristics of 478,590 participants was collected between 1992 and 2000. Cox proportional hazards regression was used to calculate multivariate-adjusted hazard ratios and 95% confidence intervals. Overall, neither ethanol intake at recruitment nor mean lifelong ethanol intake was significantly associated with lung cancer. However, moderate intake (5-14.9 g/day) at recruitment (hazard ratio (HR) = 0.76, 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.63, 0.90) and moderate mean lifelong intake (HR = 0.80, 95% CI: 0.66, 0.97) were associated with a lower lung cancer risk in comparison with low consumption (0.1-4.9 g/day). Compared with low intake, a high (>/=60 g/day) mean lifelong ethanol intake tended to be related to a higher risk of lung cancer (HR = 1.29, 95% CI: 0.93, 1.74), but high intake at recruitment was not. Although there was no overall association between ethanol intake and risk of lung cancer, the authors cannot rule out a lower risk for moderate consumption and a possibly increased risk for high lifelong consumption.
- Meat intake and risk of stomach and esophageal adenocarcinoma within the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).
- Authors: González CA, Jakszyn P, Pera G, Agudo A, Bingham S, Palli D, Ferrari P, Boeing H, del Giudice G, Plebani M, Carneiro F, Nesi G, Berrino F, Sacerdote C, Tumino R, Panico S, Berglund G, Simán H, Nyrén O, Hallmans G, Martinez C, Dorronsoro M, Barricarte A, Navarro C, Quirós JR, Allen N, Key TJ, Day NE, Linseisen J, Nagel G, Bergmann MM, Overvad K, Jensen MK, Tjonneland A, Olsen A, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Ocke M, Peeters PH, Numans ME, Clavel-Chapelon F, Boutron-Ruault MC, Trichopoulou A, Psaltopoulou T, Roukos D, Lund E, Hemon B, Kaaks R, Norat T, Riboli E
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 1
- Alcohol intake and breast cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).
- Authors: Tjønneland A, Christensen J, Olsen A, Stripp C, Thomsen BL, Overvad K, Peeters PH, van Gils CH, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Ocké MC, Thiebaut A, Fournier A, Clavel-Chapelon F, Berrino F, Palli D, Tumino R, Panico S, Vineis P, Agudo A, Ardanaz E, Martinez-Garcia C, Amiano P, Navarro C, Quirós JR, Key TJ, Reeves G, Khaw KT, Bingham S, Trichopoulou A, Trichopoulos D, Naska A, Nagel G, Chang-Claude J, Boeing H, Lahmann PH, Manjer J, Wirfält E, Hallmans G, Johansson I, Lund E, Skeie G, Hjartåker A, Ferrari P, Slimani N, Kaaks R, Riboli E
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Lifetime and baseline alcohol intake and risk of colon and rectal cancers in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC).
- Authors: Ferrari P, Jenab M, Norat T, Moskal A, Slimani N, Olsen A, Tjønneland A, Overvad K, Jensen MK, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F, Morois S, Rohrmann S, Linseisen J, Boeing H, Bergmann M, Kontopoulou D, Trichopoulou A, Kassapa C, Masala G, Krogh V, Vineis P, Panico S, Tumino R, van Gils CH, Peeters P, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Ocké MC, Skeie G, Lund E, Agudo A, Ardanaz E, López DC, Sanchez MJ, Quirós JR, Amiano P, Berglund G, Manjer J, Palmqvist R, Van Guelpen B, Allen N, Key T, Bingham S, Mazuir M, Boffetta P, Kaaks R, Riboli E
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 1
- Ethanol intake and the risk of pancreatic cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).
- Authors: Rohrmann S, Linseisen J, Vrieling A, Boffetta P, Stolzenberg-Solomon RZ, Lowenfels AB, Jensen MK, Overvad K, Olsen A, Tjonneland A, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F, Fagherazzi G, Misirli G, Lagiou P, Trichopoulou A, Kaaks R, Bergmann MM, Boeing H, Bingham S, Khaw KT, Allen N, Roddam A, Palli D, Pala V, Panico S, Tumino R, Vineis P, Peeters PH, Hjartåker A, Lund E, Redondo Cornejo ML, Agudo A, Arriola L, Sánchez MJ, Tormo MJ, Barricarte Gurrea A, Lindkvist B, Manjer J, Johansson I, Ye W, Slimani N, Duell EJ, Jenab M, Michaud DS, Mouw T, Riboli E, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- [Alcohol consumption and epithelial cancer risk in the EPIC-Italy cohort].
- Authors: Saieva C, Caini S, Ceroti M, Fasanelli F, Ricceri F, Agnoli C, Grioni S, Mattiello A, Santucci de Magistris M, Tumino R, Martorana C, Masala G
- Issue date: 2015 Sep-Dec