Application of multimedia models for screening assessment of long-range transport potential and overall persistence.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Gall, Anne Christine le
Meent, Dik van de
MetadataShow full item record
TitleApplication of multimedia models for screening assessment of long-range transport potential and overall persistence.
PubliekssamenvattingWe propose a multimedia model-based methodology to evaluate whether a chemical substance qualifies as POP-like based on overall persistence (Pov) and potential for long-range transport (LRTP). It relies upon screening chemicals against the Pov and LRTP characteristics of selected reference chemicals with well-established environmental fates. Results indicate that chemicals of high and low concern in terms of persistence and long-range transport can be consistently identified by eight contemporary multimedia models using the proposed methodology. Model results for three hypothetical chemicals illustrate that the model-based classification of chemicals according to Pov and LRTP is not always consistent with the single-media half-life approach proposed by the UNEP Stockholm Convention and thatthe models provide additional insight into the likely long-term hazards associated with chemicals in the environment. We suggest this model-based classification method be adopted as a complement to screening against defined half-life criteria at the initial stages of tiered assessments designed to identify POP-like chemicals and to prioritize further environmental fate studies for new and existing chemicals.
- Multimedia partitioning, overall persistence, and long-range transport potential in the context of POPs and PBT chemical assessments.
- Authors: Scheringer M, Jones KC, Matthies M, Simonich S, van de Meent D
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Comparing estimates of persistence and long-range transport potential among multimedia models.
- Authors: Fenner K, Scheringer M, Macleod M, Matthies M, McKone T, Stroebe M, Beyer A, Bonnell M, Le Gall AC, Klasmeier J, Mackay D, Van De Meent D, Pennington D, Scharenberg B, Suzuki N, Wania F
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1
- Assessing persistence and long-range transport potential of current-use pesticides.
- Authors: Matthies M, Klasmeier J, Beyer A, Ehling C
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 15
- Are there other persistent organic pollutants? A challenge for environmental chemists.
- Authors: Muir DC, Howard PH
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 1
- Prediction of overall persistence and long-range transport potential with multimedia fate models: robustness and sensitivity of results.
- Authors: Fenner K, Scheringer M, Hungerbühler K
- Issue date: 2004