Endogenous versus exogenous exposure to N-nitroso compounds and gastric cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST) study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bingham, Sheila A
Giudice, Giuseppe del
Sanchez, María José
Quirós, José Ramón
Key, Timothy J
Allen, Naomi E
Bueno-de-Mesquita, H Bas
Ocké, Marga C
Peeters, Petra H M
Numans, Mattijs E
González, Carlos Alberto
MetadataShow full item record
TitleEndogenous versus exogenous exposure to N-nitroso compounds and gastric cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST) study.
PubliekssamenvattingThe risk of gastric cancer (GC) associated with dietary intake of nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) and endogenous formation of nitroso compounds (NOCs) was investigated in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). The study included 521,457 individuals and 314 incident cases of GC that had occurred after 6.6 average years of follow-up. An index of endogenous NOC (ENOC) formation was estimated using data of the iron content from meat intake and faecal apparent total NOC formation according to previous published studies. Antibodies to Helicobacter pylori and vitamin C levels were measured in a sub-sample of cases and matched controls included in a nested case-control within the cohort. Exposure to NDMA was < 1 microg on average compared with 93 mug on average from ENOC. There was no association between NDMA intake and GC risk (HR, 1.00; 95% CI, 0.7-1.43). ENOC was significantly associated with non-cardia cancer risk (HR, 1.42; 95% CI, 1.14-1.78 for an increase of 40 microg/day) but not with cardia cancer (HR, 0.96; 95% CI, 0.69-1.33). Although the number of not infected cases is low, our data suggest a possible interaction between ENOC and H.pylori infection (P for interaction = 0.09). Moreover, we observed an interaction between plasma vitamin C and ENOC (P < 0.02). ENOC formation may account for our previously reported association between red and processed meat consumption and gastric cancer risk.
- Socioeconomic position and the risk of gastric and oesophageal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST).
- Authors: Nagel G, Linseisen J, Boshuizen HC, Pera G, Del Giudice G, Westert GP, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Allen NE, Key TJ, Numans ME, Peeters PH, Sieri S, Siman H, Berglund G, Hallmans G, Stenling R, Martinez C, Arriola L, Barricarte A, Chirlaque MD, Quiros JR, Vineis P, Masala G, Palli D, Panico S, Tumino R, Bingham S, Boeing H, Bergmann MM, Overvad K, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F, Olsen A, Tjonneland A, Trichopoulou A, Bamia C, Soukara S, Sabourin JC, Carneiro F, Slimani N, Jenab M, Norat T, Riboli E, González CA
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Meat intake and risk of stomach and esophageal adenocarcinoma within the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).
- Authors: González CA, Jakszyn P, Pera G, Agudo A, Bingham S, Palli D, Ferrari P, Boeing H, del Giudice G, Plebani M, Carneiro F, Nesi G, Berrino F, Sacerdote C, Tumino R, Panico S, Berglund G, Simán H, Nyrén O, Hallmans G, Martinez C, Dorronsoro M, Barricarte A, Navarro C, Quirós JR, Allen N, Key TJ, Day NE, Linseisen J, Nagel G, Bergmann MM, Overvad K, Jensen MK, Tjonneland A, Olsen A, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Ocke M, Peeters PH, Numans ME, Clavel-Chapelon F, Boutron-Ruault MC, Trichopoulou A, Psaltopoulou T, Roukos D, Lund E, Hemon B, Kaaks R, Norat T, Riboli E
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 1
- Plasma and dietary vitamin C levels and risk of gastric cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST).
- Authors: Jenab M, Riboli E, Ferrari P, Sabate J, Slimani N, Norat T, Friesen M, Tjønneland A, Olsen A, Overvad K, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F, Touvier M, Boeing H, Schulz M, Linseisen J, Nagel G, Trichopoulou A, Naska A, Oikonomou E, Krogh V, Panico S, Masala G, Sacerdote C, Tumino R, Peeters PH, Numans ME, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Büchner FL, Lund E, Pera G, Sanchez CN, Sánchez MJ, Arriola L, Barricarte A, Quirós JR, Hallmans G, Stenling R, Berglund G, Bingham S, Khaw KT, Key T, Allen N, Carneiro F, Mahlke U, Del Giudice G, Palli D, Kaaks R, Gonzalez CA
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- N-Nitroso compounds and cancer incidence: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Norfolk Study.
- Authors: Loh YH, Jakszyn P, Luben RN, Mulligan AA, Mitrou PN, Khaw KT
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Helicobacter pylori, nutrition and smoking interactions: their impact in gastric carcinogenesis.
- Authors: González CA, López-Carrillo L
- Issue date: 2010