Polymorphisms of genes coding for insulin-like growth factor 1 and its major binding proteins, circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 and breast cancer risk: results from the EPIC study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
McKay, J D
Cleveland, R J
Lahmann, Petra H
Bueno-de-Mesquita, H Bas
Gils, C H van
Peeters, Petra H M
Quirós, José Ramón
Allen, Naomi E
Key, Timothy J
Bingham, Sheila A
MetadataShow full item record
TitlePolymorphisms of genes coding for insulin-like growth factor 1 and its major binding proteins, circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 and breast cancer risk: results from the EPIC study.
PubliekssamenvattingInsulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) stimulates cell proliferation and can enhance the development of tumours in different organs. Epidemiological studies have shown that an elevated level of circulating IGF-I is associated with increased risk of breast cancer, as well as of other cancers. Most of circulating IGF-I is bound to an acid-labile subunit and to one of six insulin-like growth factor binding proteins (IGFBPs), among which the most important are IGFBP-3 and IGFBP-1. Polymorphisms of the IGF1 gene and of genes encoding for the major IGF-I carriers may predict circulating levels of IGF-I and have an impact on cancer risk. We tested this hypothesis with a case-control study of 807 breast cancer patients and 1588 matched control subjects, nested within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. We genotyped 23 common single nucleotide polymorphisms in IGF1, IGFBP1, IGFBP3 and IGFALS, and measured serum levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in samples of cases and controls. We found a weak but significant association of polymorphisms at the 5' end of the IGF1 gene with breast cancer risk, particularly among women younger than 55 years, and a strong association of polymorphisms located in the 5' end of IGFBP3 with circulating levels of IGFBP-3, which confirms previous findings. Common genetic variation in these candidate genes does not play a major role in altering breast cancer risk in Caucasians.
- Genetic variation in the growth hormone synthesis pathway in relation to circulating insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, and breast cancer risk: results from the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition study.
- Authors: Canzian F, McKay JD, Cleveland RJ, Dossus L, Biessy C, Boillot C, Rinaldi S, Llewellyn M, Chajès V, Clavel-Chapelon F, Téhard B, Chang-Claude J, Linseisen J, Lahmann PH, Pischon T, Trichopoulos D, Trichopoulou A, Zilis D, Palli D, Tumino R, Vineis P, Berrino F, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, van Gils CH, Peeters PH, Pera G, Barricarte A, Chirlaque MD, Quirós JR, Larrañaga N, Martínez-García C, Allen NE, Key TJ, Bingham SA, Khaw KT, Slimani N, Norat T, Riboli E, Kaaks R
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Eighteen insulin-like growth factor pathway genes, circulating levels of IGF-I and its binding protein, and risk of prostate and breast cancer.
- Authors: Gu F, Schumacher FR, Canzian F, Allen NE, Albanes D, Berg CD, Berndt SI, Boeing H, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Buring JE, Chabbert-Buffet N, Chanock SJ, Clavel-Chapelon F, Dumeaux V, Gaziano JM, Giovannucci EL, Haiman CA, Hankinson SE, Hayes RB, Henderson BE, Hunter DJ, Hoover RN, Johansson M, Key TJ, Khaw KT, Kolonel LN, Lagiou P, Lee IM, LeMarchand L, Lund E, Ma J, Onland-Moret NC, Overvad K, Rodriguez L, Sacerdote C, Sánchez MJ, Stampfer MJ, Stattin P, Stram DO, Thomas G, Thun MJ, Tjønneland A, Trichopoulos D, Tumino R, Virtamo J, Weinstein SJ, Willett WC, Yeager M, Zhang SM, Kaaks R, Riboli E, Ziegler RG, Kraft P
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- IGF-1, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 polymorphisms predict circulating IGF levels but not breast cancer risk: findings from the Breast and Prostate Cancer Cohort Consortium (BPC3).
- Authors: Patel AV, Cheng I, Canzian F, Le Marchand L, Thun MJ, Berg CD, Buring J, Calle EE, Chanock S, Clavel-Chapelon F, Cox DG, Dorronsoro M, Dossus L, Haiman CA, Hankinson SE, Henderson BE, Hoover R, Hunter DJ, Kaaks R, Kolonel LN, Kraft P, Linseisen J, Lund E, Manjer J, McCarty C, Peeters PH, Pike MC, Pollak M, Riboli E, Stram DO, Tjonneland A, Travis RC, Trichopoulos D, Tumino R, Yeager M, Ziegler RG, Feigelson HS, Breast and Prostate Cancer Cohort Consortium.
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 2
- Common genetic variation of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 1 (IGFBP-1), IGFBP-3, and acid labile subunit in relation to serum IGF-I levels and mammographic density.
- Authors: Taverne CW, Verheus M, McKay JD, Kaaks R, Canzian F, Grobbee DE, Peeters PH, van Gils CH
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- A comprehensive analysis of common IGF1, IGFBP1 and IGFBP3 genetic variation with prospective IGF-I and IGFBP-3 blood levels and prostate cancer risk among Caucasians.
- Authors: Schumacher FR, Cheng I, Freedman ML, Mucci L, Allen NE, Pollak MN, Hayes RB, Stram DO, Canzian F, Henderson BE, Hunter DJ, Virtamo J, Manjer J, Gaziano JM, Kolonel LN, Tjønneland A, Albanes D, Calle EE, Giovannucci E, Crawford ED, Haiman CA, Kraft P, Willett WC, Thun MJ, Le Marchand L, Kaaks R, Feigelson HS, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Palli D, Riboli E, Lund E, Amiano P, Andriole G, Dunning AM, Trichopoulos D, Stampfer MJ, Key TJ, Ma J
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 1