Model predictions of metal speciation in freshwaters compared to measurements by in situ techniques.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsUnsworth, Emily R
Warnken, Kent W
Leeuwen, Herman P van
Riemsdijk, Willem van
Town, Raewyn M
MetadataShow full item record
TitleModel predictions of metal speciation in freshwaters compared to measurements by in situ techniques.
PubliekssamenvattingMeasurements of trace metal species in situ in a softwater river, a hardwater lake, and a hardwater stream were compared to the equilibrium distribution of species calculated using two models, WHAM 6, incorporating humic ion binding model VI and visual MINTEQ incorporating NICA-Donnan. Diffusive gradients in thin films (DGT) and voltammetry at a gel integrated microelectrode (GIME) were used to estimate dynamic species that are both labile and mobile. The Donnan membrane technique (DMT) and hollow fiber permeation liquid membrane (HFPLM) were used to measure free ion activities. Predictions of dominant metal species using the two models agreed reasonably well, even when colloidal oxide components were considered. Concentrations derived using GIME were generally lower than those from DGT, consistent with calculations of the lability criteria that take into account the smaller time window available forthe fluxto GIME. Model predictions of free ion activities generally did not agree with measurements, highlighting the need for further work and difficulties in obtaining appropriate input data.
- Comparison of analytical techniques for dynamic trace metal speciation in natural freshwaters.
- Authors: Sigg L, Black F, Buffle J, Cao J, Cleven R, Davison W, Galceran J, Gunkel P, Kalis E, Kistler D, Martin M, Noël S, Nur Y, Odzak N, Puy J, Van Riemsdijk W, Temminghoff E, Tercier-Waeber ML, Toepperwien S, Town RM, Unsworth E, Warnken KW, Weng L, Xue H, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 15
- In-situ speciation of Ni and Zn in freshwaters: comparison between DGT measurements and speciation models.
- Authors: Zhang H
- Issue date: 2004 Mar 1
- Direct in situ measurements of labile inorganic and organically bound metal species in synthetic solutions and natural waters using diffusive gradients in thin films.
- Authors: Zhang H, Davison W
- Issue date: 2000 Sep 15
- Use of diffusive gradients in thin films to measure cadmium speciation in solutions with synthetic and natural ligands: comparison with model predictions.
- Authors: Unsworth ER, Zhang H, Davison W
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 15
- In situ speciation measurements of trace metals in headwater streams.
- Authors: Warnken KW, Lawlor AJ, Lofts S, Tipping E, Davison W, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 1