Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsBoxman, Ingeborg L A
Tilburg, Jeroen J H C
Loeke, Nathalie A J M te
Boer, Enne de
MetadataShow full item record
TitleDetection of noroviruses in shellfish in the Netherlands.
PubliekssamenvattingShellfish from oyster farms in the Netherlands and imported from other European countries were examined for viral contamination. A method that allows sequence matching between noroviruses from human cases and shellfish was used. The samples of shellfish (n = 42) were analyzed using a semi-nested RT-PCR that had been optimized for detection of norovirus in shellfish (SR primer sets). In addition, a different genome region was targeted using a second primer set which is routinely used for diagnosis of norovirus infection in humans (JV12Y/JV13I). To improve the detection limit for this RT-PCR a semi-nested test format was developed (NV primer sets). One of 21 oyster samples (4.8%) from Dutch farms was norovirus positive, whereas norovirus was detected in 1 out of 8 oyster samples (12.5%) and 5 out of 13 mussel samples (38.5%) collected directly after importation in the Netherlands. RNA from samples associated with an outbreak of gastro-enteritis in the Netherlands in 2001 was re-analyzed using the NV primer sets. At least one identical sequence (142/142 nt) was found in three fecal and in two oyster samples related to this outbreak. Further surveillance of norovirus by detection and typing of viruses from patients with gastroenteritis and shellfish is warranted to clarify the causes of future outbreaks.
- Applicability Evaluation of Male-Specific Coliphage-Based Detection Methods for Microbial Contamination Tracking.
- Authors: Kim G, Park G, Kang S, Lee S, Park J, Ha J, Park K, Kang M, Cho M, Shin H
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 28
- Application of Next-Generation Sequencing to Evaluate the Profile of Noroviruses in Pre- and Post-Depurated Oysters.
- Authors: Imamura S, Haruna M, Goshima T, Kanezashi H, Okada T, Akimoto K
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Evaluation of Two Triplex One-Step qRT-PCR Assays for the Quantification of Human Enteric Viruses in Environmental Samples.
- Authors: Farkas K, Peters DE, McDonald JE, de Rougemont A, Malham SK, Jones DL
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Contamination, bioaccumulation mechanism, detection, and control of human norovirus in bivalve shellfish: A review.
- Authors: Yang M, Zhao F, Tong L, Wang S, Zhou D
- Issue date: 2022
- Impact of COVID-19 Nonpharmaceutical Interventions on the Extent of Norovirus Contamination in Oyster Production Areas in Ireland during Winter 2020 to 2021.
- Authors: Keaveney S, Rupnik A, Fitzpatrick A, Devilly L, Fahy J, Doré B
- Issue date: 2022 Oct 1