Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsBoxman, Ingeborg L A
Tilburg, Jeroen J H C
Loeke, Nathalie A J M te
Boer, Enne de
MetadataShow full item record
TitleDetection of noroviruses in shellfish in the Netherlands.
PubliekssamenvattingShellfish from oyster farms in the Netherlands and imported from other European countries were examined for viral contamination. A method that allows sequence matching between noroviruses from human cases and shellfish was used. The samples of shellfish (n = 42) were analyzed using a semi-nested RT-PCR that had been optimized for detection of norovirus in shellfish (SR primer sets). In addition, a different genome region was targeted using a second primer set which is routinely used for diagnosis of norovirus infection in humans (JV12Y/JV13I). To improve the detection limit for this RT-PCR a semi-nested test format was developed (NV primer sets). One of 21 oyster samples (4.8%) from Dutch farms was norovirus positive, whereas norovirus was detected in 1 out of 8 oyster samples (12.5%) and 5 out of 13 mussel samples (38.5%) collected directly after importation in the Netherlands. RNA from samples associated with an outbreak of gastro-enteritis in the Netherlands in 2001 was re-analyzed using the NV primer sets. At least one identical sequence (142/142 nt) was found in three fecal and in two oyster samples related to this outbreak. Further surveillance of norovirus by detection and typing of viruses from patients with gastroenteritis and shellfish is warranted to clarify the causes of future outbreaks.
- A semiquantitative approach to estimate Norwalk-like virus contamination of oysters implicated in an outbreak.
- Authors: Le Guyader FS, Neill FH, Dubois E, Bon F, Loisy F, Kohli E, Pommepuy M, Atmar RL
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 15
- An efficient and rapid method for recovery of norovirus from food associated with outbreaks of gastroenteritis.
- Authors: Boxman IL, Tilburg JJ, te Loeke NA, Vennema H, de Boer E, Koopmans M
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Determination of norovirus contamination in oysters from two commercial harvesting areas over an extended period, using semiquantitative real-time reverse transcription PCR.
- Authors: Lowther JA, Henshilwood K, Lees DN
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Comparison of methods for detection of norovirus in oysters.
- Authors: Schultz AC, Saadbye P, Hoorfar J, Nørrung B
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 20
- Detection of multiple sapovirus genotypes and genogroups in oyster-associated outbreaks.
- Authors: Nakagawa-Okamoto R, Arita-Nishida T, Toda S, Kato H, Iwata H, Akiyama M, Nishio O, Kimura H, Noda M, Takeda N, Oka T
- Issue date: 2009 Jan