Multiple-locus variable-number tandem repeat analysis of Neisseria meningitidis yields groupings similar to those obtained by multilocus sequence typing.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
TitleMultiple-locus variable-number tandem repeat analysis of Neisseria meningitidis yields groupings similar to those obtained by multilocus sequence typing.
PubliekssamenvattingWe identified many variable-number tandem repeat (VNTR) loci in the genomes of Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A, B, and C and utilized a number of these loci to develop a multiple-locus variable-number tandem repeat analysis (MLVA). Eighty-five N. meningitidis serogroup B and C isolates obtained from Dutch patients with invasive meningococcal disease and seven reference strains were analyzed using MLVA and multilocus sequence typing (MLST). MLVA, based on eight VNTR loci with limited variability in the number of repeats, yielded clustering of the strains similar to that obtained by MLST, with congruence between both methods amounting to 69%. The ability to recognize clonal complexes makes MLVA a valuable high-throughput method to serve as a tool complementary to MLST. Four highly variable VNTR loci were used in a second assay to analyze N. meningitidis serogroup C strains collected during an outbreak of meningococcal disease in The Netherlands. Typing based on the latter VNTR loci enabled differentiation of isolates with identical MLST sequence types and grouped epidemiologically related strains.
- Use of variable-number tandem repeats to examine genetic diversity of Neisseria meningitidis.
- Authors: Yazdankhah SP, Lindstedt BA, Caugant DA
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis for molecular typing and phylogenetic analysis of Shigella flexneri.
- Authors: Wang YW, Watanabe H, Phung DC, Tung SK, Lee YS, Terajima J, Liang SY, Chiou CS
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 31
- Application of multiple-locus variable number tandem repeat analysis to identify outbreak-associated Neisseria meningitides serogroup C sequence type 4821 in China.
- Authors: Shan X, Zhou H, Zhang J, Zhu B, Xu L, Hu G, Bai A, Shao Z, Jiang B
- Issue date: 2015
- Rapid laboratory detection of meningococcal disease outbreaks caused by serogroup C Neisseria meningitidis.
- Authors: Killoran PB, O'Connell J, Mothershed EA, Probert WS
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Use of a multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis method for molecular subtyping and phylogenetic analysis of Neisseria meningitidis isolates.
- Authors: Liao JC, Li CC, Chiou CS
- Issue date: 2006 May 11